Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to use desktop Spotify

Solved!

Unable to use desktop Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

My Question or Issue

I am unable to play any songs via the desktop application for Spotify. Selecting some songs result in them instantly being skipped for the next song in the queue repeatedly. Some songs will simply clear the queue. Some songs will cause an generic error "Spotify can't play this song right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

This issue started when I built a new PC.

I followed https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-Skipping-every-song-not-playing-for-more-th...
I have tried...

• ensuring my audio devices are connected, and set to default.
  • With my monitor, usb headset, and aux cabled headphones. All of these work with any other software except Spotify.
  • I have tried disabling enhancements / restore defaults / exclusive mode on each.
  • Reinstalling generic audio drivers / Realtek drivers
  • Windows Troubleshoot
  • Power settings set to always on (disable adaptive power)
  • Power settings for drivers set to always on
  • Disabling and re-enabling Spotify hardware acceleration
  • I tried restarting Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service, to no avail.
  • I have tried a fresh install of windows (not a deal breaker, since the PC was fresh anyways)

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. I can't help but imagine it's Microsofts fault with their recent string of horrrid updates.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

WELP IT'S FIXED

After much frustration, the issue seemed to be an incompatibility with my USB Headset or its drivers.

I found a workaround, which is to install vb-audio (a desktop audio mixing tool) and pipe spotify audio through it, and the out to my headset. Make sure to maximize the audio quality of the vb-audio driver in windows sound device manager.

Spotify, maybe look into why HyperX Virtual Generic Driver doesn't work? It's entirely possible this is on HyperX though...

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi there @ablack2-us,

thanks for reaching out to the community !

There's an on going issue under investigation here where Spotify is gathering more info about this.

It would be a great idea to add your +VOTE, comment and subscribe for further updates.

I would also recommend checking out your host files following the steps provided here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Let me know if you have any further questions

That doesn't seem to be the same errant behavior Boo. I get no "error 30", "error 34", and can log into the desktop application fine. I can even browse and search.

Not being able to actually play any song is the issue in my case, which that thread doesn't seem to discuss.

I did try a few more things, that the Spotify Twitter and that thread recommended

• Check host file
  • Checking Windows Firewall
  • Disabling antivirus

I have also tried

• Running Spotify as Administrator
  • Reinstalling the application

**bleep** I'm having the same issues too! i was just able to play spotify, i turn the pc off for literally 2hrs and everything decides to not work! I am not delting windows 10 as i'm not tech savvy and not going to lose every damn thing because of a faulty app. Super annoyed how it'll work on my phone but not the pc it was just working fine on UGGGH!!!

Hi @ablack2-us & @zdoginterprise,

thanks for checking out the thread i sent !

Let's try a few more steps together.

Please visit your settings page of your desktop app and tap off the following settings :

- Autoplay

- Playback / Crossfade

- AutoMix

- Under Proxy select "No Proxy"

Try tapping off all of them to see if that makes any change.

If it does, tap them back on one by one to see which one is causing the issue.

Furthermore, please make sure that your Audio drivers and Win OS are fully updated.

Keep me posted 🙂

turned all of those off, still nothing, i've factory reset my pc and updated all drivers still nothing skips but now won't even do that. disappointing

actually i may have fixed it, will update in a few days if i remember
Marked as solution

WELP IT'S FIXED

After much frustration, the issue seemed to be an incompatibility with my USB Headset or its drivers.

I found a workaround, which is to install vb-audio (a desktop audio mixing tool) and pipe spotify audio through it, and the out to my headset. Make sure to maximize the audio quality of the vb-audio driver in windows sound device manager.

Spotify, maybe look into why HyperX Virtual Generic Driver doesn't work? It's entirely possible this is on HyperX though...

Suggested posts