Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Use on different devices / positions not saved

Solved!

Use on different devices / positions not saved

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Sony Xperia XZ, custom-built PC, HP ProBook 650 G2

Operating System

Android 8, Windows 10, Windows 7
My Question or Issue

Hello,

I guess this will be a long text as it's hard to describe, TL;DR will be at the very bottom of this topic.

I'm experiencing this problem for quite a while now and it's so annoying, but also hard to explain, so here's an explanation of the situation first:
Given I'm listening on my PC (Win 10), then I want to go somewhere, shut down the PC (without closing Spotify) and want to continue at the same position of the last song I listened to (on my PC) on my smartphone (let's call it Song A).
Instead of continuing from the song I had on my PC, the app will start to play where I last stopped on the smartphone (this is Song B now).

Same goes for driving to work listening via smartphone, booting up my laptop and opening Spotify there - same thing: Last position is where I stopped listening on the laptop (and we have Song C now).

Also, when I shut down my PC while listening to music, and e.g. the next morning I'm booting it again (Spotify is in autostart) it will play from the last song/position I closed Spotify manually - So... Opening Spotify, music starts from Song A, shutting down the w/o closing Spotify manually when listening to Song J, next bootup music again starts from Song A.

I thought the idea behind using the same account on mulitple devices the user owns was that you can switch the device the music is played with seamlessly and there is no necessity to "properly" close Spotify on PC/Smartphone/Laptop (and believe me, this worked very well in the past). Right now I even can play music on my PC (Song A) while opening the app on my smartphone, showing me to play Song B. I'm either doing something wrong since nearly half a year now or didn't get an update on how to properly use Spotify from vXYZ123 on or something is broken on Spotify-side (like the synchronization does not work properly betweeen the devices avaiable to play music on in one's account).
I'd really want to find a solution for this because this (ha, next issue connected to that sync problem) also breaks the Mixtapes, which SHOULD be shuffled tracks, but, plainly said, I listen to the same 8hrs of music through my Mixtape 4 every day at work because Spotify does not remember where it stopped playing when I shut down my laptop.

I hope someone understands my problem and can help me with this, sorry for the long post / explanation...

TL;DR: Sync between devices broken (different songs on different devices on startup), App not remembering last position before closing

Kind regards from Germany!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @kooky2410, thanks for writing!

Since you use different devices during different activities and moments of your day (i.e. mobile phone when commuting, office computer during the day, and your home computer at night), we want to keep each device in the same exact point where you left it last time. This way, Spotify will be able to give you the best experience possible.

The only way for you to access the your music's latest timestamp across devices would be to have them overlap one another. For instance, you could be listening to music at home while getting ready in the morning and, right before you leave, you could open Spotify on your mobile phone and keep streaming the same song you had on your computer directly through your phone for a seamless transition.

We hope this helps. Have an amazing day 🙂

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @kooky2410, thanks for writing!

Since you use different devices during different activities and moments of your day (i.e. mobile phone when commuting, office computer during the day, and your home computer at night), we want to keep each device in the same exact point where you left it last time. This way, Spotify will be able to give you the best experience possible.

The only way for you to access the your music's latest timestamp across devices would be to have them overlap one another. For instance, you could be listening to music at home while getting ready in the morning and, right before you leave, you could open Spotify on your mobile phone and keep streaming the same song you had on your computer directly through your phone for a seamless transition.

We hope this helps. Have an amazing day 🙂

Suggested posts