Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows volume up/down keys do not work when spotify has focus

Windows volume up/down keys do not work when spotify has focus

On Win7 Pro 64-bit.

They don't affect neither the Spotify volume nor the global Windows volume. (I'd prefer the latter, plz.)

Top Answer
Eni

Hey folks,

thanks for posting on the Community!

From your reports it seems this issue comes and goes for some of you. We can take a closer look again, but could you please share a video recording of what happens? You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

This might be dependent on the drivers that are responsible for your media keys, as those are separate from Spotify. If those were updated recently that might explain the change in behavior. We'll deep dive once we get more info from you.

Cheers!

80 Replies

Yeah still not fixed!

This is getting old!

Same issue here... pretty inconvenient, considering Spotify's job is produce audio.

I have found out that it DOSN'T DISABLE the volume! But in order for you to Increase or Reduce the volume while you have Spotify in focus, you have to TAP the Volume Keys. 

In my case I can reduce the volume by pressing the volume key multiple times. If i hold the button down it dosn't do anything, or it reduces the volume by one step.

Maybe you guys can check if the same happens to you ?

It is really anoying, having to tap it like a mad man! 

Tweet exchange with Spotify support:

can you provide an update for the problem described here? It's been going on for over a year.

Hi Ryan! This seems to be an issue with specific computers, it's not a general thing. Have you tried tapping the buttons? /S

Tapping the buttons? I'm using a Corsair K90 with a volume scroll wheel. It's a problem with every computer I use with Spotify

I have this problem on a Lenovo W530 running Win7 x64.  Tapping usually works with Spotify in focus, but sometimes after trying to hold to reduce volume the buttons won't respond at all until I switch focus.

how has this not been fixed yet? this was posted 2 years ago. Guess what guys, it's still ANNOYING. My volume keys/mute button do nothin while Spotify is in focus.  I don't have this problem with any other application on my computer. 

I keep waiting for this to be fixed with each update.

I can't believe this bug exists, it's completely ridiculous. Can't use my volume knobs while in a music app. What on earth?

So it is a "new idea" for Spotify to NOT f**k up a working Windows feature? Interesting. Please keep your innovations in check, then.

This needs to be changed. still having this after so darn long is just idiotic.

seriously spotify??????? two **bleep**ing years later and still nothing? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely, 

New costomer that was forced to switch to Spotify.....

Please fix this, it is an annoying and stupid side effect of whatever you wanted to achieve by blocking it.

I am pretty certain that no humans actually work at spotify. The whole company is run by a Watson IBM computer. That is the only way I can explain the mental logic of this company. 🙂 

One solution is to use the web player (play.spotify.com) which works fine with knobs. However, then I guess you don't get high quality sound.

I found the solution on my Norwegian Win 7 PC. These are all my translations from Norwegian to English so may not be accurate:

1. Locate speaker symbol in system tray (lower right hand corner)

2. Right click speaker symbol, choose "Alternatives for volume control"

3. Question is displayed "Choose which devices that should have separate volume control"

4. Deselect "All devices with sound playback"

After this I could control the volume in Spotify with the volume knobs on my Dell keyboard. That is adjusting the system volume.

However if Spotify has focus this don't work. But most of the time I guess that Spotify don't have focus, so it's OK. If you're in Spotify you could use Ctrl-Up or Ctrl-Down to adjust volume for Spotify application (not system)

WP8.1 is supposed to have sliders in the app when you press the volume bar.  Then you adjust the volume of the app.  This differs from WP8.0.  There is a > to the right which you touch to bring up the slider.  Right now the Spotify app comes up full volume on my Nokia Lumina 925 with no control of the volume from the volume bar.  I got this from a post.

This is easily the worst thing about spotify.  I am an avid user of the service, and have been paying for premium for well over a year.  The lack of an appropriate response from spotify staff on such an annoying and OLD issue is rediculous.  We need this fixed.

What the **bleep**? Spotify changes this to a "new idea" feature? It's clearly a **bleep**ty bug! Already starting to reconsider my 2+ years premium membership. Might swap to WiMP, or even piratebay. WiMP is **bleep**ing horrible on concept albums, and spotify is literally horrible all over.

Please fix this, it's really anoying. I can't tap any volume control because my volume control is a spinning wheel. so it doesen't work at all when spotify is in focus. It can't be that frikkin hard to fix this bug??....because it is a bug.....not an idea.

Is there still no fix to this.. I have only just started using Spotify and on my free month trial but this is the only thing that is stopping me continuing with the membership, it's just so annoying!!

I'm using a Corsair K70 and I am used to controlling the volume with the keyboard dial so being unable to do it with this application is frustrating.

Hi Spotify people! I just noticed this while I was listening to my playlist and realized I couldn't listen to anything because the streets are loud and the music wasn't getting any louder no matter how much I changed my phone volume. It didn't get any lower either.

And this seems to be going on for three years, seriously, what's up with this?

Suggested posts