Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library][Artist] Slow loading time when scrolling

Solved!

[Your Library][Artist] Slow loading time when scrolling

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

Since the last UX update scrolling down in the your library-> artists view is slow and get stuck when I reach the end of the latest batch of artists loaded.

Before the update I could scroll down with no problem to the end of my list without getting stuck and waiting when reaching the current end.

Attached 2 pictures:

You can see in the first one that not all artists were loaded and only after a few seconds more artists were added (the second image)

image-1 missing artists.png
image-2 more aritst.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @amsle123456,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We appreciate you taking the time to report this and share those videos. We've passed this on to the teams in charge so they can look into it. We can't commit to an exact timeframe for when or if this will be fixed. In the meantime, make sure to keep the app always updated.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Hi there @amsle123456,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.,

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks for the help @Jeremy unfortunately it doesn't work.

I tried this on 2 different computers with 2 different networks. This can't be a network issue because before the latest UI update it worked fine.

Also tried to uninstall and reinstall on one computer, still didn't solve the issue.

Hey @amsle123456,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you ask a friend/ family member to log in with their account on one of your devices, and check if you experience the same issues.

This will shine some light on whether the issue is account or device related.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Tried it on another computer on another wifi networks with another account. still the problem happens.

I played around with it and the problem seems to be with lazy loading of artists. It starts loading the second part of artists only when I reach the end of the scroll, instead of loading them when I am close to the end.

Hi again @amsle123456,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you provide us a screen recording so that we can have a closer look directly from your end?

On another note, can you log into the web player to see if the issue persist?

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Here is a video showing that loading only happens when I reach the end of the scroll, not even when I see missing artists.
Sorry for the short video it's the only option due to the file size limit.

If you want longer videos let me know how I can upload them.

Here is a second video of the scroll getting stuck. As you can see I scroll to the bottom and then get a delay before more artists are loaded.

There is another video at the top as a replay to the post itself.

The same thing happens in the web player
Marked as solution

Hi @amsle123456,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We appreciate you taking the time to report this and share those videos. We've passed this on to the teams in charge so they can look into it. We can't commit to an exact timeframe for when or if this will be fixed. In the meantime, make sure to keep the app always updated.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Thanks

Would just like to add my $0.02 to this.

IMO the lazy loading has significantly degraded the spotify desktop experience.

I understand the appeal on Spotify's end due to the enormous amount of traffic spotify receives, however I'd suggest implementing a cache to store the users library and just load that if possible.

I typically just listen to albums, and my library has hundreds of them. Scrolling through all of the albums and waiting for them to load is unfortunately, a horrible experience and after 7 years on Spotify is making me think of jumping ship 😞

Hey @tomkeyte,

Thanks for the post.

We appreciate your feedback and we've passed it on to the right teams at Spotify.

In most cases the slow loading of Library items is related to the network connection.

We'd recommend restarting your router or trying a different network to check if that produces better results.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

I'm on a 330M connection so it's not that.

My problem isn't with _slow_ loading times, it's with the lazy-loading at all.

I liked that I used to be able to grab the scroll bar and jump to any place in my library - it was a smooth experience. Spotify desktop now feels horribly clunky

I think a much better implementation would be to load the entire library as it used to, but just use blank placeholders for the album artwork, and lazy load those images.

I've created a site that does exactly that and attached a short video with the network requests - as you can see it's still smooth, and loads quickly (This took all of about 10 minutes, so I'd imagine a dev at spotify could improve upon the idea)

speed.png

Hey @tomkeyte,

Thanks for the reply and the clarification.

This is how the current UI is set to work, in order to load at least some results for users with slower internet connection or older devices, behaving much like the Web app. Unfortunately, there is no way to manually change the way the app displays those sections of your Library.

If you think other users might also like the Album/ Artist view to go back to the way it used to be in previous updates, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts