[Your Library] Improve performance when loading playlists

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I realized I probably posted this issue in the wrong place as an "idea", please remove it if necessary; https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Your-Library-Loading-playlists-freezes-the...

With the new desktop UI (Windows 1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a), when "You Library" is clicked the whole UI freezes for several seconds. I probably have more playlists than many other users, but the new UI does not handle it well compared to the old UI. Since it's freezes it's not possible to go to "Podcasts" or "Artists" while the playlists are loaded (first screen of "Your Library").

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This issue has been fixed for me since 1.1.62.583.gdac868ed-a.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hi there @alipi,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

We moved the idea. We're happy to help you our directly in this post.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you try with a different internet connection to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks. A clean reinstall did not fix the issue. If it was just once and cached after that then it would not be a blocking issue. It freezes the UI every time I click "Your Library".

Consider just adding the 12 manual step "clean reinstall" to your install/uninstall script. Asking end users to do it manually is annoying.

Hey there @alipi

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Could you let us know how much storage space does your device have available?

On another note, we'd recommend you clear any entries which contain Spotify from the host files on your computer. Follow the instructions in this post.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

>> Could you let us know how much storage space does your device have available?

92 GB. The old UI worked without any issues for many years. So I would guess this is a bug in the new UI.

Hi again @alipi

Thanks for your quick reply. 

Just to confirm, have you tried clearing the host files following the steps in the thread we sent previously? If so, let us know how it went. 

On another note, would you mind letting us know if this happens on a different PC as well?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

>> Just to confirm, have you tried clearing the host files following the steps in the thread we sent previously? If so, let us know how it went. 

Yes, as I mentioned I did a clean reinstall and it did not fix the issue.

>> On another note, would you mind letting us know if this happens on a different PC as well?

I don't have access to another PC, but this one has 4/8 cores, 32 GB RAM and 92 GB SSD. I'm fairly certain this is bad SW performance.

You can probably recreate the issue by copying my account or adding ~67182 tracks across ~1778 playlists to a test account. The old desktop UI and Android UI do not have any issues.

Hey @alipi,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Could you try with another account on your PC to see if anything changes?

It's also a good idea to give these steps a go. 

In case there are no changes, could you send us a video recording of what you're seeing? We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions. 

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

>> Could you try with another account on your PC to see if anything changes?

Sorry I don't have access to random test accounts. This issue should be investigated by Spotify engineering/Q&A instead of me doing their work.

>> It's also a good idea to give these steps a go. 

Thanks for the tip, but I don't understand how it's relevant to my issue.

>> In case there are no changes, could you send us a video recording of what you're seeing? We'll look into this further.

Please see video below, same behavior going from "Search" to "Your Library" and "Artists" to "Playlists".  At 41 s the UI crashes and restarts. Keep in mind I have 32 GB RAM and at the time of recording more than 20 GB was free.

https://streamable.com/r16eqc

Hey @alipi,

Thanks for the keeping us in the loop 🙂

We appreciate you taking the time to report this and sending over the video and all the details. We'll make sure to pass the info on to the right team.

We cannot say when or if this will be solved, but we'd suggest you keep your app up-to-date so you don't miss the latest improvements.

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

This issue has been fixed for me since 1.1.62.583.gdac868ed-a.

Hi there @alipi,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us and for your confirmation.

We're really glad to see that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts