Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Better Search Engine

I love spotify and everything about it but the thing that bugs me and keeps a lot of my friends away from it is the search engine.

A big problem is that you have to get the name right literally while many times somebody tells you about an artist or album and you don't know the exact spelling. Spotify does offer suggestions but they are not so good. It would be far better if it would be more like Google where it searches for the literal words first and then parts of the words. That way its also easier to come into contact with artists you never knew since the results would be much more diverse since they are not limited to the exact wording but parts of it. 

The most important thing is to be able to find artists and the search engine is the most import tool to do that, I think its lacking a bit at the moment. 

Updated: 2015-11-17

Hey folks, we're ready to mark this ideas 'Implemented' as we have made many improvements to our search engine since the original post in 2012. We account for searches with a spelling error and we have a team constantly working to improve your search experience. If you'd like to see specific feature/ function in search please make a new idea in the Idea Exchange. Thanks!

Comments
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented
Updated: 2015-11-17

Hey folks, we're ready to mark this ideas 'Implemented' as we have made many improvements to our search engine since the original post in 2012. We account for searches with a spelling error and we have a team constantly working to improve your search experience. If you'd like to see specific feature/ function in search please make a new idea in the Idea Exchange. Thanks!

phaded

im confused this says its implemented but i still have this problem and its 2016... example i searched: where your head in search of Where's your head at. how are other songs that arent as close come up before the right song? all i am missing is " 's " also a typeo correction like google would be nice because sometimes we put e before i and that will make it so the song does not pop up at all just because the switching of 2 letters

RoscoeBarn

In terms of searching, I dislike how you can't do more refined searches.  For example, when you find an artist, I want to be able to then search for a particular song within that page.  Or I want to specifically click on the podcast and search for a particular podcast.  

I've been trying to search for CBC Radio's podcast but none are coming up.  If I'm paying $12 a month for this app, I want access to everything!

even442

Why doesn't a search for, for example, Bach's violin sonatas, or Bach BWV 1017 return ALL recordings available on spotify? Usually when I search for a particular piece I get only 4-5 hits, even though I know there are many many other recordings (those I must find by entering some other parameter...e.g. the name of the performer) How can you get a more comprehensive search result if you're looking for all recordings of a particular piece and don't know additional parameters (like the performer....) 

Lucho101

Bing.com 

RacePorsche

I feel this case is not closed. The search engine would be much more useful if it ignored things like '&'  '+'  'Feat.' Any of these will yield no results. These are common symbols in mixed music, and for those of us who copy and paste, we get no search results.

jlpcayon

Sometimes you don't get any results when you search a song, but if you include part of the artist name, then yes, you get the result.

matswessling

This isnt fixed at all. The search function is almost useless.I stated to use google play since I thought spotify didnt had the somgs I was lookibg for only to realuze that it was spotifys search engine that is badly broken.

- you have to get spelling, apostroohe, dot comma etc exactly as in the title (which isnt easy since the title is often not correctly spelled)

- songs often doesnt appear until you specify the artist...

etc....

bottom line is: search engine is your most important asset, it what makes the songs available to the paying users! How can you have been able to f*ck that up?

AlyDowling11

In my second month of Spotify, premium paid/renewed yesterday but my search engine still won't let me look up new song's to add to my play lists!! After typing 1 letter it continuously says Oops something went wrong. My Internet is fine and I'm online and even when I press retry it still won't allow me find new song's!! Feeling very frustrated. I have tried logging out and back in, even reinstalling and still no joy. ......... Help needed!!!!!

SaraJade

So...I wouldn't put a pin in this topic just yet.  The search function on Spotify is quite possibly the worst implemented search function I have ever had to use.  For example...I have searched for every type of variation in the title for the soundtrack to Halo 5.  The only way I was able to finally locate it was by typing "why isn't Halo 5 available on Spotify?"...into Bing.  That came up with a link that sent me to here...

https://open.spotify.com/album/1k8JDdearbBEc2DJ48CRvg

Now...why doesn't that simply come up when I type it into the search engine?

Also, as a side note, trying to discover any of the Broadway and Off Broadway musical albums is near impossible unless you know the exact title.  Not very user friendly if you want to discover new Broadway musicals.

Sara Jade