Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Make entire play queue editable

There's currently two queues in Spotify:

• The editable queue. ("Queued tracks")
  • The locked queue. ("Next tracks")

If you press the Skjermbilde-2015-04-10-20.52.53.png queue button with tracks in both lists, you can see that these two queues follow each other. The editable queue always plays first.

The problem is having a locked queue at all.

You can't empty it without interrupting playback, and you'll have to use a workaround to do so. You can't reorder it or add or delete songs. After finishing the editable queue, Spotify always continues playback from the locked queue.

The workaround is starting playback at the very last item on a page. The locked queue will then have no further items. Then you can continue by purely using the queue right-click function instead of double-click or enter. This adds items to the editable queue. These tracks can then be reordered and deleted as you wish.

This UI behaviour is, however, not very user-friendly and quite frankly really annoying. It's also very unconventional having two queues in a music player. I've never seen any other software using either a dual-queue system or a locked queue system.

Here's a good implementation suggestion from user Styrke:

----

Google Play Music's queue system is really easy to understand and use. Just do what they do.

I can describe it by three (3) easy bullets:

• Double clicking a song starts playing it and adds the rest of the list that the song came from to the queue. (The queue gets overwritten)
  • Right click one or more songs to add them to the top ("play next") or the bottom ("add to queue") of the queue.
  • Everything in the queue can be removed or rearranged by drag-and-drop

----

EDIT: I updated the terminology to match the new Spotify. Items are no longer yellow and white, but are now under separate headings and in the same color instead.

Updated: 2016-12-16

Hey everyone, now you can edit your Play Queue on your Desktop, Android and iOS device. You can add songs to 'Up Next', remove songs and clear the queue. Thanks for continuing to bring us great ideas!

Comments
EricInWisconsin

Thanks for that rocket_fish. Now I feel the queue is good. Does Spotify let us be the beta testers before announcing the changes?

nickgieschen

I came this thread via my complaint on twitter: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/741872490872442880

After reading the last page of comments, I was optimistic that this obvious and trivial feature was finally implemented. So, I just DL'd what I presume is a new build. Okay, now I can remove an item from Next Songs by selecting it and deleting, but my Next Songs seem to get filled up again if I delete them all. Moreover, the whole select/delete things is not at all obvious — typically there would be a button, which would indicate to the user that this functionaliy exists. Finally, why wouldn't there be a clear all button.

The only reason I can think they're dragging their feet on this extremely obvious issue is a business one. If you have the next songs populated and you can't delete them, more ads will get played and Spotify will get more revenue.

dancingdjmike

while reworking the play queue, also add to option to 'add to end of play queu'.

use case:
I listen to a complete album, discover another great album and want to listen it after the current album. Add to queue however would add the new album after the current track. The remainder of the current album is now after the new playing album. If I add more albums to the completely mixed up.

the option add to end of queue would allow me to line up albums to play one after the other without having to create a one-time-use private playlist

rednblu

[I make this stubPost as a "programming fix" to the posting bug in this "whitewash" Litium interface]

jakamore

EASY SOLUTION    I busk with karaoke tracks.  Got so pissed when another song in my playlist would start before any break could be taken.  I would either have to start playing or hit the pause button while track is playing.  (so Un professional)     Here is the solution. when you see your playlist,  pick a song you want to play. Do not tap it.  scroll above to the Filter function.  Type in the first few letters of the song you want.  touch the main screen to get out of typing mode.  You should only see one song on the list.  Your song.  If you see more than one then refine the search.  Once you only see your song then tap it when ready.   Only one song will play.  Repeat for your next desired song to play.  Silence is golden at the end of the current song.!

xLittleXRavenx

I totally agree. I'm pretty new to Spotify, but I have the problem that all songs in my "locked" queue are for some reason played twice. Since I can't delete them, I can't change that...

auhsor

So they added in one of most inportant missing features but due to the lack of any kind of release notes or communication no one knows about it! They even took away the right click "Remove from Queue". I thought the feature was gone (and was about to cancel my account I was so mad) until I read here that I can use the Delete button on my keyboard. 

I do not understand what goes on at Spotify HQ :S

Esoterical8

My first visit here.. as a dedicated Spotify premium user from day one, all I can say is that the UI has devolved slowly. This being one of the most frustrated and senseless. Clean up this garbage before your first-mover advantage ends up in the backlogs hanging out with AOL and MySpace. Take some notes from the Sonos UI.. simple, clean, and nearly glitch-free

godamongchicken

The 'Next Songs' queue is a little odd, it's hard to understand why you would have a separate 'Queued Songs' section.  I could live with it if it were at least possible to shuffle the 'Next Songs' queue.  It would also be nice if you could add multiple playlists to the queue (either queue).  Currently you can get around this by copying the songs in the playlist to the 'Next Songs' queue, but once there you can't shuffle them.

bearmayor

How has this not been fixed yet.