Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Alexa] Swap Spotify accounts without changing Alexa account

I have a Spotify Family account for myself and my wife

I have an alexa unit in every room, every unit is using MY amazon account as all the lights and home automation can only be setup on one Amazon account

I want to play Spotify in the room i’m in

My wife wants to play her music in a different room

Both myself and my wife also want to use the home automation whilst playing music, eg, turning on the lights

This can be done using Apple music and Amazon music but Spotify require to swap to a different spotify account for the other person

To swap to a different spotify account means changing the Alexa profile of the alexa device and then all the home automation no longer works from that device. 

Please can you allow both myself and my wife to play music in different rooms WITHOUT having to change the Amazon Alexa account

It would be great if I could say ‘Alexa, play spotify from Trevors account’ and my wife could say in a different room, at the same time, ‘Alexa, play spotify from Jackie’s account’ 

This is not a duplicate of other suggestions, I’ve checked and anything close was raised before the ability to swap alexa accounts was implemented. Swapping alexa accounts is only a work around and is not a solution to this problem.

Many people want this feature and your chat team said I should raise it here

Here is a link to the forum, lots of people are leaving spotify because only spotify do not support this feature, you guys need to catch up

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family/FAMILY-AND-ECHO-ALEXA/m-p/4900618#M26242

From my research it seems there is talk about Spotify only has one concurrent music stream whereas Apple and Amazon music have multiple streams, but please can you improve on this, the thread above was started over 18 months ago, something should be done to improve on this issue

Again, please don’t write this off as a duplicate and do nothing/say it relates to a 3rd party, people still want this feature

Thanks

Trevor Rowe

19/2/2021

Folks, just a quick update on this.

Spotify say this

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas with over 500 votes (our criteria for being a top idea). It’s from these meetings that we apply one of the following statuses to each idea….

This idea has reached over 500 votes so I asked on chat for timescales/what will happen next and was told to keep an eye on this thread.

That really sounded open ended!

As the person on chat could only deal with app and account queries, I was told to also contact the support team to get action on this

So as well as voting for this issue (please continue), 

Spotify need to keep up with Apple and Amazon and fix this issue - with your help we might just get this solved!

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
CallieSkye

We would love to come back to Spotify but we won't until this issue fixed. Please look into it! Thanks!

Noah
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-10-04

Hey there, thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange! I’ve marked this as a new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here 🙂

MadamR0se

I pay for a premium family subscription. I have both Alexa echo dots and google nest devices. NONE of which allows me to play different music at the same time. This makes me feel like my premium subscription is a waste of money. This needs to be resolved or I will be looking into a subscription with the Amazon music services. I have liked Spotify, I have enjoyed their platform. But This issue is driving me crazy. 

Gemmareilly01

Thought I was one my own with this, have two children all who have dots in their rooms but even though we have family subscription they can only play music on 1 device at a time, don’t want to put each dot on a different account as they need to be on the same Amazon account for announcements.

jacmr82

This drives me insane! I do not want to have to set up Amazon accounts for my 2 year old and 5 year old just to get this to work. Please sort this out!

uglysquid

Voted up.  This is a deal breaker.  We have echos in every room.  My wife, three kids, and I all play music in various rooms.  We share one Amazon account.  No way are we going to get multiple accounts, and we can't be tied down to one device.  No way we are paying for a service unless it can accommodate our use.

gl0d

Imagine this scenario... (it happened to me)

We have 2 Amazon accounts. Spotify Family subscription. 8 Echo Dots, Myself, wife and 7 year old daughter.

I’m out in the car driving through town, windows down, my music blasting.

This is the luxury of having streamed music from a playlist at your fingertips in the car.
Pull up at the lights.... waiting for green, then suddenly, without warning I’m listening to MINECRAFT Mashup. Lights go green so I’m now driving again and can’t steal my music back because safety. Called my wife to politely ask her (and my daughter) to leave my music alone but she says she told Alexa to use her Amazon account and Spotify account but still, it does these weird buggy things where you don’t know what account you’re in until someone shouts “hey, what you doing!?”

So how is it, that in the 1960’s, we were putting men on the moon... yet in 2020 we can’t have 2 separate streams of premium music controlled via voice through a dedicated device from a platform that sells this very service, without issues? (At least from Spotify)

They have my money, ....We want the music, how we choose to listen.

btw277

I'm about to buy a 2nd Alexa device for my daughter.  I had no idea this was an issue and will have to to reconsider paying for Spotify Family if this is not fixed.  It's a pretty basic requirement and I'm amazed no one bothered to sort it.

rowets
Yeah, i was caught by this, but don’t be put off, at the moment SPOTIFTY CAN’T DO WHAT YOU WANT, BUT APPLE AND AMAZON CAN, i really hope that Spotify are listening to their subscribers, if you say PLAY ON AMAZON then it works
itsViney

The current arrangement is simply unworkable for families. Until recently I uses Google Home and YouTube Music and multiple users were handled flawlessly, with Google Home even able to detect family members voices and automatically use the connected YT Music profile. I don't expect spotify to solve the voice detection thing (that's on Amazon) but not being able to manually switch to a different Spotify account is unacceptable.

What kinds of families have they done their user testing on where each family member confines themselves to a specific room of the house 24/7 and only uses one specific smart speaker?!

I'll be switching back to Google/YT Music very soon if this isn't fixed.