Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Remove the Shuffle / Play Button

Hi, I tried out your new design, which I have mixed feelings about, but nevermind that. The most annoying thing I come over in the new Spotify (for iPhone by the way) is the dumb, big, overlapping, unnecessary shuffle play button that pops up everywhere. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? Could at least had add an option for it. Also, it doesn't look streamlined at all with the current design. Did it even occur that not everyone wants a shuffle play button?

Updated on 2020-11-04

Hey folks,
As some of you will have noticed, this has changed on iOS.
We've updated the idea, so that we can update everyone more accurately with regards to Android.
We're marking this as a 'Good idea', too.
Please know that your feedback is reaching the right teams here.

We'll post an update if anything changes!
Thanks

Comments
v-nm_pldr1k3

Yes! Highly annoying that there is no option to change the big green play button shuffle off or on. It's just on now all the time. You have to click on the first track of the album to actually play in album sequence. My preferred way to listen to an album is in the order it was sequenced by the artist.

For playlists I can understand wanting to have the option for shuffle. In rare cases I may want to shuffle an album.

But please make this an option in settings to turn on or off, or create a separate button of equal size for shuffle. 

rsgreen

So they finally got rid of the giant "Shuffle" button...unfortunately, it was simply replaced by a round shuffle button masquerading as a "Play" button.  Why?  WHY! 

Why can't Spotify make a simple "Play" button like we have had on all audio playback devices, applications and programs since the  inception of personal audio playback devices?  There is plenty of real estate on the screen to have a "Play" button and a "Shuffle Play" button.  Why is this so hard?  Every other mobile audio application and desktop audio program I can think of has this functionality.

Why can't Spotify listen to its obviously unsatisfied army of PAYING customers and just fix the freaking issue?

- 60 pages (as of today) of complaints about this issue dating back to 2014 (its 2021!)

- One laughably easy "issue" to resolve. 

Spotify developers:  your application playback interface is not intuitive and could be much better.  In fact, its just plain dumb to make "shuffle" the default and immutable function of the "play" button.  I do not know one Spotify user who likes this functionality.  NOT ONE.  I am one in a group of 13 friends who are currently deciding which service we will migrate to -  the "migration" being due to this one issue alone.  Let me be clear about the motive:  the migration to another service is entirely due to the fact that so many people have complained about this "issue" for so long, and that Spotify has seemingly dismissed these complaints as what, unimportant?  The gripes of the uninformed?  Ignorance?  I have done a wee bit of programmin' in my day and I know that this is almost a non-issue to resolve -  in fact it is extraordinarily simple.  The question is:  why don't you just bend to the will of your paying subscribers and fix it?

Is this really too much to ask?

spotify.jpg

f0ur7dzwehdz

I have the same problem with the Android app. The shuffle function is very annoying, especially with audiobooks. I have already contacted support, explained the problem and uploaded a screencast. However, their answers are always that you have to click on the track individually to deactivate the shuffle mode. This is not user-friendly.

ℹ️💡 I have found that logging out and logging in again helps for the short term. However, as soon as you wipe to close the Spotify app and then reopen it, shuffle mode is automatically turned on again.

A setting option for permanently disabling Shuffle would be much appreciated. Is there a link to an idea where I can vote for an improvement?

Ysalamiri

As someone who listens to concept albums a lot, this button is incredibly annoying. UI-wise you are automatically drawn to the big green Play button which is good. But shuffle should NOT be the default behavior because it completely messes up an album.

danuneken

I am also frustrated to the point that I thought this button was the only way to start playing an entire album, with the consequence that every album is always shuffled. By no means the order of songs in an album is a coincidence and I want to listen to the album the way it was conceived. 

Of course I can start the album by simply starting the first song. It will play the rest in the original order. 

That "Play/Shuffle" button is just a bad idea.

m_winkler

I have a family subscription and my kids starting to use spotify to listen to audio books.

Now you can think what happens, they click on this big green play button and the mess begins.

So spotify, add a option to change the behavior of this button and save my nerves.

Thank you!

hadewijch

This idea has been around for so long. What is it with Spotify wanting to control how I listen to music. Shuffle should be a choice, not a given. 

bezoomny2000

Halle-F##king-Lujah!   Thanks Adele!