Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] IPv6 support for the desktop client

Resubmitting  the same idea as:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Support-IPv6-end-to-end/idi-p/1240314

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Desktop-client-IPv6-support/idi-p/1667179

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Other-IPv6-Support/idi-p/4469460

submitted previously by @sdstrowes

It would be highly desirable to make sure that the desktop client can work on Ipv6-only networks as they are becoming operation reality (a number of large entrerprise networks like Cisco and Microsoft have piloted IPv6-only corporate networks).

As it's been mentioned in the previosuly posted incarnations of this idea, the mobile client works just fine and Fastly supports IPv6.

Thanks!

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2019-06-18

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

bananenware

My colleague cancelled his subscription because of the lack of ipv6 support of the (linux) desktop client. I'm thinking about it. IPv6 is here and very relevant. 

apecat

I voted for this and as an IT professional I'd like to fully support this. But I'm wondering what kind of insanity major plumbing work like this will cause, in terms of removal of my favorite random features. Because not all Spotify APIs or microservices can support v6 clients or for whatever reason.

What's next to go? Last.fm support? Searching for Facebook friends to follow? Collaborative playlists? Showing unavailable tracks in playlists?

"Fun and exciting", like how the miserable 2015 revamp of the desktop client to Chromium wrapped garbage removed the audio volume normalization toggle for a while, caused truncation of play history for JS performance reasons, or how you no longer could change active playlists by right clicking on one in the list.

miyurusankalpa

At least add IPv6 support in the CDNs you use (Akamai & Fastly) . They already support IPv6.

tiljes

@apecat

Facebook fully supports IPv6 (they're running IPv6-only internally, they say). Last.fm can actually be used over IPv6-only, if you make your DNS to deliver the AAAA record of the CDNs that last.fm uses. There's no excuse.

This really needs to move forward!

FranckMartin

I think the ask here is to ensure the Desktop client works in a NAT64/DNS64 environment. It does not mean Spotify service should be on IPv6, but that the desktop client can work on an IPv6 only network which has gateways to the IPv4 Internet. As someone pointed, the mobile client already works in this environment, so it is to ensure the desktop code is IP address familly agnostic.

tiljes

@FranckMartin

No, the ask is to actually make Spotify service full DualStack with native IPv6. The request implies this by mentioning fastly's IPv6 capabilities.

But making the desktop client work in a IPv6-only NAT64 environment would be a first step.

xkg02s-u_shl

@tiljes spotify has enabled IPv6 on the CDN 😁. Now the main app remains 

FranckMartin

Can we have Spotify on Comcast Xfinity appliance?

note: Xfinity TV is an IPv6 only service.

metaknight

Google is also moving to ipv6 only.