Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Browse] Multiple playback queues

With Spotify’s push into podcasts I am routinely switching between music and podcasts. 

This means constantly losing my place in a given playlist or having to navigate back to podcast episode I was mid way through. 

Having the option to have multiple players, with their own queue and controls would eliminate this back and forth problem. 

Idea: long pressing a song, album or podcast should allow the user to “open in new player+”. 

This would pause the current player and begin playing the selected media in a seperate player. The user would now see two seperate players at the bottom of the screen.

Anything the user queues will be added to the top player (which is the currently playing or last played). User can switch the play order by dragging the player position to the top or close a player by swiping to delete (basic iOS list functionality). 

Updated on 2023-02-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Nehemoth

Hello!

I would like Spotify to implement this feature.
I would like to have different queues depending of where I am or what I am doing.

This feature would be great in the following situations:
When you want to play all episodes for your newly discovery podcast.
When you want to have a queue for your non-metalhead [insert your non-mainstream fav genre here] friends.
When you want to discovery new music without changing you main queue.

Of course there should be plenty of more scenarios which multiple queues would be great.

Note: this it's not a brand new idea.
Previously has been submitted here and here and here and here and every time has been close for not having the necessary votes to be considered.

Now, let me try to cast those votes.

Nehemoth

It looks like there's a waiting time before voting begins

tykelau

I seriously cannot use podcasts in Spotify unless they implement separate queues.
The queue process itself for podcast is horrible.

And then I cannot listen to music and then go back to my podcast queue later.

It is horrible, so horrible. 😞

davidmaia49

I listen to spotify a lot while gaming. Some games require listening to the environment and what I do is listen to music (spotify) in the waiting lobby and then pause it when the game starts. However, it would be nice if I still could hear something else, just a little more quiet like podcasts. As switching between podcasts and current playlist may be quite troublesome, since I always prefer them on shuffle, why not have two queues? You'd be able to switch between either and not lose "progress".

bamfcrawler

I use spotify for both podcasts and music and when I'm listening to podcasts, I like to queue up all the episodes I want to listen to for multiple podcasts at once so I can just let it play and know that it'll be in the right order. It takes a while to set up these queues because I often use them for whole new podcasts I've never listened to that I have many episodes to catch up on. 

The problem is that then if I want to listen to music at all I have to completely clear the queue I spent time making so that I don't hear a song and then immediately switch into a podcast. I could save it as a playlist but I only want each episode on there until I've listened to it, not permanently. 

If we could save queues and come back to them that would be perfect. 

I was about to request something similar and now I see there were several suggestions like that before. It would be veer useful to have ability to have several parallel Queues indeed e.g. I like current music flow but want to distract to something different for a while, so I'd love to either (1) open "new Queue tab" and revisit previous Queue later, or (2) save my current Queue as a playlist 

Tobneb

I think it would be a great idea to ad tabs, just like in a browser. 

where you can play a playlist in one, listen to a podcast in another, gym playlist in another, a song to try etc etc.. 

so you don't have to keep looking back and switch between playlists/podcasts, look where you stopped last time you switched. 

just change your tab when you enter the gym to play your gymlist, when you step in your car change to your other tab to continue your playlist or podcast. 

Luan
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-02-01

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as 'New Suggestion'.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2023-02-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

Joivsami

Grandiosa idea! Aunque a mí me gustaría que también implementen eso en la aplicaci9n de escritorio