Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Shuffle by Album

Simple enough concept:  Shuffle by albums instead of by tracks, for those of us who prefer full-album listening.

Should function at least within playlists and the play queue.  Perhaps it could also work in radio mode.

Updated on 2019-10-27

Hey folks,
We really appreciate so many of you coming to the Community, adding your votes and comments to this idea!
We're keeping this idea at 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. 
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.
Thanks.

Comments
evanspotify

I would really like to see this added. I listen at work and it's a pain to have to stop what I'm doing every 45 minutes to an hour to pick a new album, half the time i'd just like something random to go on.

I'd also like to be able to make a "group" of albums to shuffle from, so on days when I just want to listen to blues I can pick 8 blues albums to shuffle/play in a row.

tnova

Over two years since this post. I think it's essential for this feature to be implemented. 
Any word from Spotify on this?

Litso

I've been using Spotify for 4 years now, and this is still the only feature I really miss. I've already written a letter to Santa asking for just this simple feature for christmas. Please Spotify, we can't be besties unless you guys implement this.

Peregrine

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm brand new to Spotify -- I use Rhapsody but thought I'd try their free 30 day premium.

I am having major issues with the 'Play Queue' along with shuffle.

So YOU CAN'T add multiple albums into the queue and play it by shuffle? Is that correct?

• In other words, I can't add 3 albums to the cue and shuffle them
  • So they don't play in the same order every single time as the album was recorded

Also

1. If you single click an album and hit the shuffle graphic (bottom right), it shuffles ALL THE SONGS FROM ALL THE ALBUMS -- not just the album you started with?
  2. And the only way to shuffle from just one album is to double click the album, then you can shuffle? But you can't shuffle more than one album at a time?
  3. I'm guessing you can star them and play from the Starred playlist.

Finally if you don't mind, you can't DELETE the Play Queue list? Without doing all kinds of funky stuff or quit and restart Spotify?

I have to tell you Rhapsody does that so much better.

I hope I understand your frustrations here.

mollybeee

@Peregrine, there is a thread for queue shuffle here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Shuffle-to-work-with-Queued-songs-too/idi-p/3585

There is a lot of debate surrounding what it means to queue (and then shuffle) versus create a playlist (and then shuffle). 

----

Here, album shuffle would be different, meaning to go under Your Music under all the albums you have saved and play them in song order, but shuffle the order of the albums. 

mudduc2112

Exactly the feature for which I was going to ask.  Thanks for starting the tread.

Com'on Spotify, please implement soon.

For example, I want to start suffle-by-album play and then get surprised by "The Wall" played all the way through then say "Quadrophenia" followed by "Recycler", etc.  I won't know what album will be selected in which order but once it starts, it playes till the end.

Simple interface addition.  Just adding a ( > SHUFFLE PLAY ) to the top of the "Albums" tab like the one that exists at the top of the "Songs" tab.

If I had your source code, I could have it done in an afternoon.

Hey all,

Someone above said "This is the feature I miss the most after switching to spotify. "

Can someone point me to the service that includes this feature?  I've only used Spotify and the iPhone included "Music" app to play music and I don't see this option in either app.

Later,

Kent Larson

PSchwilden

Is this still not implemented? There's seems to be a lot of people like me that listen to concept albums and this kind of music where you MUST listen the album from track one to the end. So please Spotify, do not think only about mainstream people who only listen to one song for each artist and put a simple album shuffle function. Would be cool and only bring you even more people 🙂

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

2015-01-26

Hey folks, we're just jumping in to say this idea is still active and still has the 'Good idea' status. Please continue to add your kudos and comments here if you like this idea!

jegreenwood

This is especially critical for classical albums.  If I want to shuffle classical music, I want to be able to hear all four movements of Beethoven's 9th before switching to Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro."  I don't want the third movement followed by a second act duet from Figaro followed by a Bach prelude.

kaezi

There are a lot of genres this is worth doing with. As the last poster said, Classical is a great example. Another one is ambient, and concept albums in general. There are quite a few ambient albums who's tracks bleed into each other for which this feature makes sense.