Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Tag Music

It'd be awesome to be able to add my own tags to all of my songs in playlists, so I can easily and specifically sort my songs how I like.

Should be a pretty simple tool to implement.

Thanks

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
thomasbjerring

Trying to come up with a valid reason for Spotify to not prioritise this idea, but can't find any. It would be a fantastic feature.

dafriedman97

pleeeassseeeee doooo thiisssssss 

VanEngine

YES PLEASE! I used to do this in iTunes (before Spotify took over). I put tons of tags in my library then used Smart Playlists to automatically add songs to playlists based on style & mood. (I even loaded my iPod this way, using a cross section of styles, favorite tracks, & tracks I haven't played in a while.) I miss this so much w/ Spotify! 

I think Last.fm heavily uses a tag system too (if I remember correctly).

Thank you!

VanEngine

Tags should be able to be upvoted/downvoted. Best way to ensure they're accurate. 

I think Last.fm does something like this & already has a massive database of song tags & info. Since 2014, they no are no longer a music player and only audit listening ("scrobble"), manage tags & recommendations. 

Ilovelofi

I would like to see this applied to all parts of the Library, including saved Albums. That would make it a lot easier to find a favorite album you're in the mood for.

AntoineThebaud

I really want this..

Just to precise, since I saw some people here asking for official/"shared" tags : Personally I would like to have the possibility to tag a song how ever I want, in the same way as today the same song can be put in tons of custom, individual playlists.

This way I could decide for example to play all the songs I tagged as "metal" AND "singer", later on play "synthwave" AND "instrumental" etc..

The cherry on the cake here would be to be able to combine tags not only with AND operator but also OR, NOT, etc.. for example I may want to play all the songs I tagged with "ambiant" but exclude the ones I tagged as "indie"...

The current workaround for my usage is to put the same songs in multiple playlists, each playlist corresponding to what would be a "set of tags"... so everytime I discover a new song I like, I have to go through all the playlists I want it to be added.. in the same way, when I'm bored of a song, I need to remove it from all the playlists I added it.. and all this is is a pain in the ass...

AndrewJFisher

Yeah for me it's really important to be able to put my own labels on songs, not just a limited set of labels offered by Spotify or other music service. I mean there's certain periods of popular music and certain similar sounding bands in that period that I don't know of any standard label for, so I have to make up my own. Another thing, I like to group together songs that sound similar to each other by choosing one song as the "standard"(not necessarily the earliest song, more like the best known) and using that song's title(or an abbreviation) as a label for all the songs in the group.

Marimbaa

I agree! I have trouble explaining things as they are (for instance, the genre may be “pop”, but I never categorize it as such and rather categorize it as things that describe it well in my eyes, like “mountain” or “sparkly” or “pink” or “gray tones”.) and I would love to be able to sort my music by the way I see it. I try to do so with playlists, I just feel as though tags would make it much easier and make my playlist list much less clunky. I’m not sure why I can only define a lot of my music with nouns and colors, but I feel I am not the only one and it would make things so much easier to find.

AndrewJFisher

That's cool, having that way of grouping songs. You could end up with groups of songs vastly different in some ways and vastly the same in others. Those are the kinds of groups I like to have even though it can be hard to see or feel the connections between two recordings many years apart, I guess sometimes the connections are there.

Conchas

So long this idea is rolling here, can it be that Spotify folks did not understand why this is so much needed?

Let my explain my use case!

If I would be able to tag songs, I would give them one for the year the music was released, another for my own mood classification, and eventually one if the lyrics are in my own idiome.
Then whenever I want to listen some music, I could select one or more years, the mood, the language or any combination of these.
Of course I can have playlists for each of these, but then I must add each song to each intended playlist. Unfortunately I can never know to which playlists a song as song was added to, while a song tags could be easily displayed and managed.

Do you Spotify folks now understand how cool and easy it would be to use tags, rather the nightmare of managing songs in playlists? Hopefully!