Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
btz1

There is little left to complete 1 year
"Submitted by robotoman22 on 2020-06-26 08:34 PM"

fp-d_p7br3ths

Spotify canceled, Apple Music subscribed, problem solved - Spotify apparently cares little for its customers

tryingtothink
It is the disregard for customers that is so breath-taking. I cannot work
out in what way failing to implement this disadvantages Apple. Really it
does the opposite. It makes Spotify look bad. I just cannot work out a
rationale for how disregarding customers is to Spotify's advantage. Those
who can leave are leaving. People buying Mini's won't be joining. There
must be something I am missing. Paying someone to adjust a bit of code
would pay for itself very quickly wheeas at the moment revenue potential is
falling.
ovenbeard

I'm still waiting for this one as well. It doesn't seem that hard to implement and Spotify competitors (Pandora) have already done it. This would make my homepod about 1000 times more useful. 

abricko
MarcelR97

Honestly, 

waiting so long already for Spotify in my Homepod also to have a nice alarm in the Morning… already thinking about to switch to apple music just because spotify isnt supporting her Community.

jaymeeh

HomePod is the only digital assistant with reasonable privacy, and I care about my privacy more than my Spotify listening history. 

This has to be added soon, or we will close our accounts. 

Gratchat

Still waiting for this. About to try out Deezer as they’ve actually done what I’ve been waiting on Spotify to implement since Apple opened up the HomePod to other services.

I did think I was fine with AirPlay (even though it isn’t even AirPlay 2…) but it’s actually tiresome given how it eats battery and there’s a frustrating delay whenever you pause/play/change track.

Seriously. Why isn’t this a thing yet?

Booski94

Ridiculous that this isn’t a thing yet. Petty, honestly. Give your customers what they’re asking for. You are more than capable. 

willzo

What a joke this idea page is. Spotify loves to complain about all the restrictions Apple has against them, until they're removed and they can't deflect blame for lacking to add features. Apple watch support was launched, and within days Pandora was on top of it. Spotify? It took them months, and there is STILL no offline playback. Maybe someone could make their own app and use Spotify's API, right? It happened, Spotify had the app removed almost immediately (Apollo for the Apple Watch btw). They have still not officially updated their app to support Airplay 2, as it uses the original Airplay protocol. They complained that they couldn't make an app for the HomePod, but that hasn't been the case for a few months now, and where is the Spotify integration? Again, Pandora was on it within days of the feature being available, and now I hear Deezer is on board too. Apple's Shortcuts app, not surprisingly, has no Spotify support. No, there is no restriction, Spotify just doesn't like to support Apple specific features because they'd rather cry about being the "little guy" and how much Apple slights them.

Everyone says they're about to switch to Apple Music if feature X isn't added soon. Guess what, it's not coming. Put your money where you mouth is. Switch.