Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Chicago_fan

A "New Idea" with:

• 74 pages of responses
  • a year since it was posted in this forum for "feedback" aka "if we choose to respond to you peasants"
  • a year since it became technically possible
  • WAS SPOTIFY'S IDEA IN 2018 AND THE FOCUS OF SPOTIFY'S COMPLAINTS

This is truly reflective of Spotify's attitude as a company.

imJeans

big facts @chicago_fan

Just switched to AM (6 months for free too!), go fk urself spotify!

Mods you too. I know ur reading this, hope the paycheck is worth the silence u cowards!!

tryingtothink
Yes. One makes decisions for more than one reason. I bought Homepods
because they sounded the best to my ears. I knew Apple did not allow
Spotify. I risked this changing on the part of Apple. I knew Spotify were
complaining. I never ever imagined that if Apple opened up we would then
have this utter farce.

stovetop

Just switched to Deezer Hifi to see how it compares. HomePod support works great so far.

Will be going with Deezer until Spotify wakes up and provides HomePod support or gives some explanation as to why they won't support the HomePod.  And that explanation had best be better than "well we don't wanna because we're having an douchey executive slap-fight with Apple so we won't deliver readily available functionality to our (formerly) paying customers".

Diddi3

I can‘t belive Spotify is completly ignoring this topic. 
I‘m about to cancel my spotify Account and go to Apple Music. 

tryingtothink
And nearly 3500 votes now. When it should not require a single vote at all.
chasky

I'm assuming that there is a reason for Spotify not to do this, I'm ok with it, not that it matter for big companies anyway.

my "business case" to have HomePod is to be able to control my music by "talking to my device".  AirPlay definitely isn't a good solution since it requires me to take my iPhone, but we all know that.

So, here just to let know the algorithms up there that got my HomePod mini, and had initiated my 3-free-months trial with Apple Music.  Coming back in three months to let the algorithms know what my next step is.

update:  btw, it is a family plan that I'm moving from. 😉

update2: paying since at least 5 years ago

just want to give all the facts to whoever is reading 🙂

Beyhka

If Spotify keeps not issuing native HomePod support, I'll happily move to Apple Music. It'll only take an extra 30-40 minutes for me to move my entire music list from Spotify to Apple Music since Apple Music does it automatically for users. It's hard to believe that even during a pandemic, where everyone is home, Spotify still hasn't seemed to care about giving its users the opportunity to listen to their music on the devices they like, locked in their homes. 

If this has to do with Spotify recently giving out free Google Home Minis, hence being prevented from supporting HomePod due to some kind of a deal with Google, that is messed up, and a mistake. If that's the case, Spotify should support its users instead of blaming Apple, like they're the ones not supporting Spotify. There are many online staff writers that could bring this up and publically shame Google, and help us win this. Google is already on the legal hook for a lot of privacy-related issues.

tryingtothink
Agreed. But not a single journal or writer has responded to my contact I
fear. Off the top of my head I have tried about 8.HiFi, Tech and
newspapers. Some member of the public on What HiFi thought we were making a
fuss and should just get on with playing music. Which is what I thought we
were trying to do.
lverg

The upcoming lossless audio quality at no extra cost with Apple Music might just be enough to win me over now. This is taking way too long.