Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Maleis

I recently got a HomePod as a gift and was shocked that Spotify doesn’t work properly with it. This has to change quickly or I’ll change to Apple Music. 

Apple allows this to work. Spotify doesn‘t care. That is the problem.
Ignoring this feature request further on will bring me to cancel my Spotify subscription and changing to Apple Music.
For me there has never been a reason to do so, but now there is.

CatDaddy711

So about a year now... 84 pages of people asking for Spotify to support Apple... 3700+ upvotes... and still nothing from Spotify. I've been a Spotify user for 5 years but will be cancelling my account now because for the exact same price I can get Apple Music and use the Apple devices I want to use. Not sure what Spotify thinks they are accomplishing with their stubbornness. Adding Apple hardware support isn't going to lose marketshare for the service. What's going to lose marketshare for the service is thousands and thousands of people realizing they can't use Spotify if they want to use the Apple hardware. I'd much prefer to keep Spotify but not at the expense of not being able to use the hardware I want. I guess Spotify's position is "our service is more valuable than Apple's hardware, so people will stay because of that"... which isn't true at all.

alasdair009

As many have said I don’t really understand why Spotify holds out on this. But then again it’s easy to throw assumptions around when you are not inside the development planning and building.

really this is the only feature I want from Spotify. I would consider upgrading to a family account if this was enabled.

kenron

Yeah this is the sole reason I left Spotify for Apple Music. In engineering hours it would probably take them about a day to build this so it's clearly a political decision. It's unclear to me what Spotify thinks they stand to gain by standing up to Apple on this particular issue - if anything it's costing them customers and proving no point.

MRKSB

Been a Spotify user since 2009, and this thread really shows Spotify focus....

Just recently enabled an 2 month trial of Apple Music, and so far it's been a fine experience, even though I miss Spotify better UI/UX & Spotify connect - So Spotify, get your act together, or loose a decade old user...

RobLar85

I just canceled my subscription.

I recommend everyone to do the same. Even if spotify solves this, what happens next time we want something? After all this time and all the pages in this thread. It is clear that they do not care about their customers.

Vote with your wallets, do not let spotify get away with this. All they understand is money.

Diddi3

I have no idea why spotify does simply ignore this wanted feature….

come on, its not that hard!

implement this function

myk_r
When will Spotify update their service to allow users to fully integrate with an Apple HomePod? It seems like this functionality is in Spotify's court to implement and not something that Apple needs to make happen on their side.

Deezer made their paid service available as an option for native HomePod support in May 2021, allowing a user to have Siri control the app directly instead of having the user manually control their music through the app via Airplay. Pandora has had this available since Nov 2020.

Per their support page, they have pretty detailed instructions for setting up a music app to directly work with HomePod. The only thing missing is for Spotify to add support.

From Apple’s support page

Add a music service to HomePod

You can play music from other supported music services on HomePod. Some music services require a subscription.

Note: Not all music services are supported on HomePod.

1. On your iOS or iPadOS device, sign in to the supported music service app.
  2. In the music service app, go to settings, then add the music service to your HomePod.
  3. In the Home app, tap Home, then tap Home Settings. 

Note: If you have more than one home, you see settings for your current home (based on your location). To edit a different home, tap Homes, then tap the home you want to edit.

1. Tap your user profile under People.
  2. Under Media, tap the music service.
  3. If you want to update and personalize your profile based on what you listen to on the HomePod, turn on Update Listening History.

If you don’t want to use a music service with HomePod, you can remove it. In the Home app, tap Home, tap Home Settings, then tap your user profile. Tap the music service, then tap Remove from Home.

Set a default music service on HomePod

You can set a default music service on HomePod so that you don’t have to say the name of the service (Spotify, for example) when you ask Siri to play something. You can still play music from other supported services that you add to HomePod too by saying the name of the service when you make your Siri request.

To add a music service to HomePod, see the task above.

1. In the Home app, tap Home, then tap Home Settings. 

Note: If you have more than one home, you see settings for your current home (based on your location). To edit a different home, tap Homes, then tap the home you want to edit.

2. Under Media, tap the music service you want to set as your default service.

You can also change which user account should be used when someone’s voice isn’t recognised. In the Home app on your iOS or iPadOS device, touch and hold a HomePod, scroll down, tap Settings, then tap Primary User.

myk_r

From what I've read, this is entirely in Spotify's court to make happen. Pandora has had this support since Nov 2020 and Deezer made it available to their paid subscribers in May 2021.

Apple support has a pretty detailed rundown of how to turn HomePod support on. We just need Spotify to make it an available feature.

From Apple’s support page

Add a music service to HomePod

You can play music from other supported music services on HomePod. Some music services require a subscription.

1. On your iOS or iPadOS device, sign in to the supported music service app.
  2. In the music service app, go to settings, then add the music service to your HomePod.
  3. In the Home app, tap Home, then tap Home Settings. 

2. Under Media, tap the music service.
  3. If you want to update and personalize your profile based on what you listen to on the HomePod, turn on Update Listening History.

If you don’t want to use a music service with HomePod, you can remove it. In the Home app, tap Home, tap Home Settings, then tap your user profile. Tap the music service, then tap Remove from Home.

Set a default music service on HomePod

You can set a default music service on HomePod so that you don’t have to say the name of the service (Spotify, for example) when you ask Siri to play something. You can still play music from other supported services that you add to HomePod too by saying the name of the service when you make your Siri request.

To add a music service to HomePod, see the task above.

1. In the Home app, tap Home, then tap Home Settings. 

2. Under Media, tap the music service you want to set as your default service.

You can also change which user account should be used when someone’s voice isn’t recognised. In the Home app on your iOS or iPadOS device, touch and hold a HomePod, scroll down, tap Settings, then tap Primary User.