Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
MRKSB

#cancelspotify

Slim08

#cancelspotify

tryingtothink

Just mailed the below to Jon Porter at the Verge.

Dear Sir,

I note your recent article about Spotify.

Are you aware of this thread?

(I included a link but the post won't let me load it here)

Far and away the most voted for request by the Community, and Spotify are fundamentally silent.

Spotify requested to do this but now Apple have agreed they are not doing it. Pandora already does it. And Spotify have enabled it for Alexa.

Is there not an article here? Maybe Spotify would interact with the media.

Yours faithfully
pate_rico84

Just came back here to say #cancelspotifyday #cancelspotify

Y_no_HomePod

Well today is July 27th #CancelSpotifyDay, still no reply from Spotify.

So much for their twitter handle "Spotify Cares".

I'm cancelling today. Hope everyone else who is affected by this does the same thing today.

Just so you know it is very easy to move your playlists to Apple Music with the SongShift app on the iOS App Store. Only takes 5 minutes.

Bye spotify.

Y_no_HomePod

Y_no_HomePod_0-1627392628770.png

Atomic_Al

Done.

cancelspotify.png

I signed up for Spotify yesterday morning, deleted 100 GB of Apple Music, setup playlists and everything on Spotify, only to discover that AirPlay to my 4 HomePods could only do 50% volume, there still was no integration with HomePod as a default player and that these threads on here have been unanswered for a loooong time. 

Seems Spotify is busy elsewhere and doesn't care about fixing any of this in a hurry. 

Back to AM it is.

tomawaknawak

"only to discover that AirPlay to my 4 HomePods could only do 50% volume"
What do you mean by that? Is this only your issue or is this a general issue?

Y_no_HomePod

It's weird how little Spotify care about the user experience on Apple devices. It's not just limited to not being able to ask HomePod to play a song from Spotify, (now 9 months after WWDC2020 making that functionality available to all developers).

When I upgraded from an iPhone 7 plus to an iPhone 12 I noticed that the general Spotify app speed (e.g. when scrolling through playlists) was a lot slower on the iPhone 12. Every other app was much faster, so it was a Spotify specific issue. Clearly the Spotify app hadn't been optimised properly for the new device. In some cases it would crash. I wondered if the Spotify app was only utilising the low-power/high efficiency cores of the iPhone 12 CPU for both decoding and UI as it felt even slower when a song was playing.

Since switching to Apple Music I've noticed a lot of things that work better. The sound quality of Apple Music's native AAC-encoded 256K "High Quality" audio files is superior to Spotify's Ogg Vorbis files at 160/320k (which are being locally transcoded on the fly by iOS into AAC for streaming over Bluetooth. Erugggh.).

With the "Lossless", "High Resolution Lossless" and "Dolby Atmos" modes, Apple Music just blows away the audio quality of Spotify. It's seriously in another league. I've only been listening in my car for a few days and the difference is staggering. The distortion which I thought was my car speakers at high volumes is completely gone, low bass notes are richer and deeper, and the timing is more natural. Something is seriously broken in the entire Spotify user experience across almost all Apple products.

It's clear that Spotify just doesn't care about maintaining a top tier quality product for Apple users. They are so contemptuous of over 50% of their user base that they don't even respond to a 90 page thread on their own community forum.