Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
tryingtothink
Thank you for this. Very interesting .An even bigger problem than I
realised.
I think as the family upgrade their devices they may come round to the idea
of moving the account to AM.
The last couple of nights I haven't neen able to transfer what was playing
on my 7 to the Homepods. It said it was doing it, but it didn't happen.
I don't know if that is Apple or Spotify.

I am also puzzled at the lack of media interest. Absolutely no-one I have
contacted has troubled themselves to even respond.
pajacz

Apple allows this to work. Spotify doesn‘t care. That is the problem.
Ignoring this feature request further on will bring me to cancel my Spotify subscription and changing to Apple Music.
For me there has never been a reason to do so, but now there is.

Joshua1111

I’ve had a Spotify family account for as long as I can remember. Not sure what is worse, the fact this is still not implemented or that Spotify can’t be bothered to respond to paying customers… I guess I will be switching  streaming services…

Justareviewer

Just chiming in to express my disappointment that this hasn’t been implemented already considering the attention and obvious customer interest. This is not a good hill to die on, Spotify

RobertoNM

I didn't know that they transcoded from Ogg Vorbis to ACC on the fly. They just responded that they wouldn't be adding Airplay 2 support for the foreseeable future. Could this be related to that?

stevau5

Just here to express my disappointment with Spotify in terms of supporting native apple products. Going to be switching to Apple Music finally, I love Spotify but this sucks

cjtaylo

I'm frustrated on the wait on this issue. I just signed up for a 3 month trial of Apple Music (which sounds awesome) and will switch if the integration is still not available.

pbx2020

They've written off Airplay 2 support, so this will never happen now. Jumped shipped months back and I have no regrets. Better curation, better support for the products I use, less restrictions (for example if someone starts listening at the house on the Homepods it doesn't stop my music - not limited to 1 stream like Spotify), Dolby Atmos which is a game changer, push notifiations for new releases from artists in my library I could go on but I think you get the point.

Don't support Spotify pushing **bleep** no one wants in their App or their own hardware. They complained to the European Commission in March 2019 that accused Apple of "locking Spotify and other competitors out of Apple services such as Siri, HomePod, and Apple Watch." what a joke that statement was.

HappyToLeave

Been waiting on this for way too long now. I cancelled my Spotify Family account and moved with my wife and kids to Apple Music and I won't come back. 

The problem isn't slow implementation, it's the unwillingness to do so. I know Apple and Spotify aren't on great terms, but Apple showed they care about their customers more than they care about their business conflict by opening the homepod API for all (including Spotify). Spotify shows they don't care about Apple users by making it harder for us to integrate Spotify with Apple users including homepod etc. For the first few months I got it, but after Apple's move it's just pathetic really. 

Take care all of you, and Spotify: I regret ever having given you my money. You make it painfully clear that you never deserved it in the first place. 

I am so close 2 cancel the Spotify subscription, because lately the connection with Spotify is all the time pausing, and it’s not the HomePods fault lol. And the Audioquality ahhh.