Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
WhyDontYouDoIt

Got a response back...

TLDR: It's not coming in near future, so we can all drop our hopes... Let everyone else know.

They're only "talking" about this feature at the moment with their partners. Sad thing to find out about.

Email response received:

Thanks for reaching out. We understand you're looking for an update regarding HomePod. Let's see what best we can do.

We understand your situation, our developers are always looking for ways to bring better service and deals to our customers.

Although it's not something that's due to be released in the near future, it is the sort of thing we test and have conversations with our partners about.

We'll make sure your voice is heard in those discussions, thanks!

We really appreciate your time for taking initiative on behalf of our customers and bringing this to our notice.

Hope this feature come soon. Let us know if you need help with anything else, we're always here for you.

tryingtothink
Thanks for this. Personally I will put renewed effort into a family switch.
I have heard that the newer iPhones are less happy with Spotify-presumably
the iOS but maybe someone knows for sure. So my family may have their
stance changed soon. I suppose Apple would be criticised if they banned
Spotifduring the court cases as I think they have Fortnite. But I reckon
it's the only thing Spotify would take note of. We know it is not a
technical difficulty, it is a very peculiar business model they are
following.
noVuz

So, my apple music free month are over. No changes at spotify side so I just cancelled my premium abo. I will come back if you get your lazy ass up spotify. 

Raiu

Any status on this? It’s disappointing this isn’t available yet. I hate Apple Music but will switch over as my HomePods have become the main point I use to listen to music. The requirements of picking up my phone and air playing are annoying when I can just speak and ask to play a song on the speakers directly. 

WhyDontYouDoIt

Yeah mate a few comments up I posted the reply from Spotify.

fattymattychady

Seriously?? Still not implemented? How has it been almost 2 years since the release of HomePod and Spotify has not offered any support!?!?

tryingtothink
Yes, thank you. Your post was very helpful and much appreciated. Penalising
their own customers because they have a problem with Apple is bizarre. And
inconsistent since they have enabled voice control on iPhones.
NoahLikeTheArk

This is unfortunate. Does anyone know of a good migration method for moving over to Apple Music?

Yes! SongShift works incredibly well. Used it when I first switched to Spotify and am considering using it again to switch back bc Spotify still hasn’t added support for this and HomePod is my main speaker rn
tryingtothink
There have been posts on this-I am sorry but I forget