Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
designolog

I started considering Apple Music because of this everlasting delay already.

kenron

I've been following this thread for a while and I can't believe that STILL nothing has happened. I'm a software engineer - implementing this would take maybe two days tops for a more senior developer. The lack of attention here speaks volumes about how Spotify works as an organization.

ziggy7

I've been following this thread for a while as well since I stopped my subscription.

I think Spotify is a great company and provides a great service, but it is a company and companies do not always respond to things like "please", "we've been waiting for so long", "it's been X months since", "I can write the code for you", "this is unacceptable", and all the other compelling arguments posted here while you continue to pay your subscription.

Companies (most of the time) are motivated by profit so, stop paying and move on to a product that fulfill your needs. You can always renew your subscription later on and Spotify will (likely) still be here to take your money.

In my opinion, Spotify has a lot of work to do to entice customers to come back, this is not just about Homepod support but sound quality and features that show improvement. Not to mention, hearing their subscriber's requests like this one.

Do not expect for things to change by keep doing the same thing, it's time to move on.

Kaustav

Please add native support for HomePod. The strength of Spotify was being available everywhere. Please add native support for HomePod.

daveThe0nly

@kenron unfortunately if you look at how Spotify Connect is implemented - you get an sdk for embedded devices, it’s impossible to implement it for HomePod without Apple allowing running a 3rd party code on the HomePod.

Marrekk

@daveThe0nly why can't it be just an app which you "remotely" control from other devices? 

Not really sure how the apps run on homepod but there has to be some workaround ... 

tryingtothink
Agreed. Working on the family.
tryingtothink
I thought Apple did. They allow it on other devices. Siri can access
Spotify on my iPhone
maggusw

Thinking about moving to Apple Music. Spotify is by far the better app, but Homepod integration is a killer feature. 

tryingtothink
Hopefully Apple will improve. And they are ahead on sound quality. Which is
why we bought HomePods naively anticipating Spotify to support in the way
the support the iPhone. I would love to understand their logic. They must
have lost more subscriptions than 2 days of technician salary especially
with the Minis.