Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Anon1337

F|_|cking useless, cancelling.

3tmf-cdpy7_s3

Curious how long it will take because it starts to become embarrassing to see this idea open for 2+ years

Sjjr

Hurry up. 18months no progress 

evn

I'm honestly shocked that this isn't a feature.  A vague status update from 6 months ago is all we have to go on?  I'd have way more respect for Spotify if there were a reason for the delay shown or even a straight up "no we won't implement this here's why".  But "As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know."?  Come on...

This is pathetic and potentially even worth switching services over.  Basically my 2 options at this point are to return my homepod mini for an Alexa device which is supported by Spotify or keep enjoying my Homepod mini and switch to Music.  Of course then I lose what I love most about Spotify, which is the product itself.

After 2 years of waiting I say goodbye Spotify 😡

Exorth

Quite tempted to cancel my Spotify Family subscription after years to make the switch to Apple Music. I personally do not even like Apple Music that much (except for their better sound quality compared to Spotify) and would much rather stay with Spotify. But not being able to just simply put up some music on my HomePod due to lazyness from Spotify is just stupid.

t7i6xc-kj7_x8

Any news on this?

Dear Spotify, at least let us know IF you plan to implement this or if we can stop hoping for it (and move to Deezer or Apple Music for good).

kenron

I don't think we're going to get a reply anytime soon. At this point I'd say it's clear it's a pretty high-up decision at Spotify to ignore this feature request. It's quite disrespectful on Spotify's part though; as I was reminded recently and agree with, silence is the strongest form of contempt.

abricko
They simply do not care (yet) we will not get an answer from them until
they lose a ton of (iOS) subscribers and the message cascades up to the
folks who make policy... it's obviously not a priority and they're
trying to punish apple some way.  My guess/money is still on they'll
wait until they have enough products/services to directly compete with
Apple before they make this a priority OR if Apple were to apply
pressure to them or pay for them to get it done.  Spotify continues to
show they're a garbage corporation, hopefully it catches up to them
sooner rather than later.
cddouglas

Spotify whines about Apple not playing nice, but it is a ruse because they just don't like having competition. Spotify could care less about users - how long have people asked for a white UI, how many years did it take to get offline playback on Apple watch? It is now more than a year and half since Apple made the APIs available and although other smaller companies made their music available natively on HomePod right away, Spotify is still sulking like a spoiled child. 

I enjoy the music suggestions on Spotify better, but library management on Apple Music is a million times better. I am done, cancelled our Spotify family plan last month and moved my playlists to Apple Music.