Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Implement Native HomePod Support

Details

Just this week at WWDC (June 22, 2020), Apple announced support for third party music services on the HomePod.  I'm requesting that Spotify implement native support for the HomePod such that one or even multiple HomePods will appear in the "Connect to a device" menu on any Apple device WITHOUT having to connect through Airplay.  This will also allow users to ask Siri to play songs from Spotify on their HomePod(s). 

Apple is opening up the HomePod, and I know there are many other HomePod users that would love to have native Spotify support on their speaker. 

Resources

Please upvote this idea to garner attention for it.  Thank you Spotify and the Spotify community.  Let's get this implemented so it's ready for general iOS 14 release this September!

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
mrsky

@Donny_Craft

I'm not on 15.6 so I'm curious about this too. Strange that I'm not seeing anything other than that specific video anywhere else online. I would've also liked to have seen that user activate Spotify on the Homepod via Siri. That would be a more direct confirmation.

Donny_Craft

Unfortunately the short doesn’t have a comment section where I could have asked him about that. I’m hoping someone in this thread who have the newest version can verify it, and elaborate on what features are actually there now. Can’t wait cause my hopes are really there now😅😅

noVuz

The handover like shown in the video works but nothing else. Spotify can‘t be added as standard in the HomePod. I am not sure if the handover already worked before, never tried it. 

Donny_Craft

@noVuz

Thanks for the answer! But that’s a bummer though 🥲. But I knew deep inside that Spotify supporting the whole Siri package would be too good to be true. But if this didn’t exist before, it’s a step in the right direction at least.

One question tough. Does this mean that the HomePod will play the music by itself, not needing the iPhone to be connected via AirPlay just like with the Apple Music handoff. If that’s the case, it would be very useful. The thing is that I don’t see how this can be supported, without having the option to set Spotify as the standard player.

mrsky

@Donny_Craft

I'm on 15.5 and just did a handoff from Spotify to Homepod. All it's doing is switching to Airplay. If you close Spotify on the iPhone after handoff, it'll stop playing on the Homepod. Unless the guy in the video can prove otherwise, that's all it is. 

Donny_Craft

@mrsky

It’s settled then.. until someone proves otherwise 🥲

tryingtothink
Yes. I did the update. No Go. It's still down to Spotify. For me no longer
fit for purpose.
Corbot3000

It’s sad, there are small indie app developers who had no issues implementing airplay2 within their apps over the last few years, but a giant company like Spotify can’t?

What’s your excuse, Spotify PMs? Devs? Execs? 

Downgraded to the free tier after 10+ years of paying for your services because they’re so slow to take advantage of iOS APIs, unlike every other app developer. 

izzoa1

Where is the update on this?? 

Kaustav

Come on. Spotify was always after apple not exposing their API's. Now they have done it and there should be no reason for HomePod users to wait for so long. The strength of Spotify is being everywhere. But seeing this thread I doubt that now. If Apple Music can come to Android knowing how Apple tries to keep things working in their ecosystem only, there is no reason Spotify to not come to HomePod.

Really like the music on Spotify but also like HomePod and my privacy. Please implement this.