Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Spotify won't resume after pause with bluetooth headphones

I'm unable to resume after i pause the music for a few minutes with my headphones over bluetooth.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app and all devices fully up-to-date.

Thanks!

Comments
mnpalmtree

It's funny that I have this same exact problem 2 years after this thread was started.

I use spotify for hours everyday and this started to happen to me recently to the point that I'm starting to hear music on youtube.

Every time that I pause music on the Spotify Desktop app for Mac, if I take more than a minute, I'm not able to get the sound through to my bluetooth headphones unless I quit and reopen the Spotify app.

I'm using the 1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb version of the Spotify Mac Desktop App on a Macbook Pro laptop running macOS Catalina version 10.15.2

Guido

Hello @mnpalmtree,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If we understand correctly sound will stop playing over your headphones when you pause the music for a while. Will other sounds continue playing over your headphones or will all sounds seize to play back over the headphones?

Could you also give us a bit more info when you start hearing YouTube and if it happens in any browser?

Looking forward to your reply.

Moo464

I have exactly the same problem with my MacBook. I'm also using Bluetooth headphones and whenever I pause spotify and want to continue listening, I get the error message "Current song cannot be played". Then I have to restart Spotify to be able to continue listening.

mnpalmtree
Hi @Guido,

Yes, that's exactly what happens and yes, other sounds continue playing over my headphones (sounds like notification chimes, sounds from videos,...).

I haven't tried using Spotify with the browser app.

My Youtube usage is pretty simple, I need to go find something on there from time to time and when I do, I pause Spotify to be able to hear the content on videos. If I do this in like 5 minutes it's fine but if I keep Spotify paused for longer and then resume to play it:
- sometimes won't send sound to the headphones while other apps continue to send sound through. In this case it'll show the interface like it's playing music (with time continuing to move forward) but with no sound output through bluetooth;
- other times will disconnect the bluetooth devices from my mac.

Please let me know if you need any further information.
Guido
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey all,

We've received your reports that the music won't resume after you pause it when listening with Bluetooth headphones. We'd like to look into this but to do this we need the following:

• Device
  • OS version
  • Spotify version

Let us know what you can find. Looking forward to your reply.

andrepintado

Brief description of the issue:

When I'm using spotify with my bluetooth headphones and I pause a song for more than 10min (-ish), spotify can't play the song anymore, and I have to restart it.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Play any song and hear it with bluetooth headphones;
  2. Pause the song and wait 15 minutes;
  3. Press the "play" button. Spotify will raise the "Can't play the current song" message.

Your device and operating system:

MacBook Pro 13-inch Early 2015, macOS Catalina 10.15.2

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):

Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using:

1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb

GJ1159

Been having this issue EVERY F'IN DAY! I use my desktop Mac at work and have to pause my music every few minutes to deal with other things, however I have to restart Spotify about 30 times a day, not even exaggerating that total either.

I've done fresh installs, turned on/off Hardware Acceleration and that does nothing to resolve the issue.

I never have this issue on my phone, but on my desktop where I listen to 75% of my Spotify subscription, I'm starting to think Apple Music may be worth the money to drop this especially is NO ONE is willing to help this on going issue I see everyone having....we pay YOU Spotify, FIX**bleep**!

caffdawg

This happens to me a lot. It seems to be only isolated to one specific headphones. I haven't noticed this issue when using AirPods.

• Device: MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • macOS Catalina: 10.15.2 (19C57)
  • Spotify Version: 1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb

The headphones I'm using are H-Audio PH3. 

Spotify will display the error message "Cant play song" with no other error code/message when it attempts to resume the current song or when I attempt to play another song. 

The issue is, obviously, resolved if I quit/reopen Spotify.

Hope this helps! 

awprice

+1 to this issue, I'm experiencing it too. I have to close the Spotify app and re-open it to get it to work again. 

Incredibly annoying and I'm considering using another music service.

GJ1159
So it's something Spotify needs to address with bluetooth headphones. It's sad because I use bluetooth because I walk around my office and use my desktop for playing my music....that I PAY FOR! Someone needs to address this! DAMNIT SPOTIFY FIX THIS!