Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Multiple SD card storage options are shown in app settings

Hey everyone!

We've been receiving reports about the app displaying multiple SD cards in the storage options. 

OI.png

If you're experiencing this, let us know by adding your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hey folks,

We just wanted to confirm that the right teams are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, at the moment, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again for reporting this!

Comments
Jmatteis_ca

So technically the Multiple storage issue has been fixed which is what this thread is about, the reverting to internal storage after a restart is frustrating, but not what THIS thread was about.

I think someone said that it has to do with The card not being accessible right away, so Spotify needs to put something in where it doesn't automatically start downloading music again and leave it to the customer to manually go in, change it to SD card once it's readable and then start downloading again, but I guess that's to be discussed in the other thread.

ABakes

So the SD duplicates issue isn't a thing any more. Although every time the phone restarts it switches from the SD card to the internal storage. 

I tried to catch the migration each time and it worked for while. As soon as I would see that Spotify was re-downloading my playlists to my internal storage, I would change it to SD. And it was a work around. 

Now that doesn't even work. So I just say screw having downloaded playlists. Quite frankly to the SD card issue, I have been listening to music less, cause I listen to music in a place with dead spots. And nothing is worse than listening to songs stop and start because they have to buffer at a lower bit rate. If I wanted that experience I would get a CD player and jump around. Same effect, and I would have a higher bitrate. 

It looks like Tidals library is starting to catch up, so I am again considering making the switch so I can at least have offline downloads, as well has HD audio. Earlier in the year, I used TIDAL, and I was impressed especially with the clean layout. My only problem at the time was trying to migrate my library. But at this point, I might as well just take a day to sit down and go through my library. Might find some new tunes. That was my experience when I made the jump to spotify.

Spotify is obviously more concerned about podcasts, and audiobooks now to actually provide a competitive listening experience when it comes to music, or even basic offline functionality.  Stuff like spotify recaps, and banners really make the app feel campy, while the promoted services such as offline playback don't even work. That's unless you want to listen to music at a low bit rate.

Also, getting tired of my car thing. Lately it's been stopping my music to give me stupid suggestions to use voice commands. Like no **bleep** I'm not dumb. Doesn't seem like there is a way, to around it  except to give it a voice command. So I unplugged it and put it in my glove compartment cause I have it so my phone automatically starts playing music as soon as I start up the car. No longer have that problem with that stupid prompt to use the voice activation function that is hit and miss. Mostly miss 70% based on a test I did, saying band names.

It's no wonder why spotify stock has dropped sense 2021, and is actually below it's 2018 figures. 

I think it's time to move platforms. 

Nema80

I've made the mistake of trying to move to SD storage 2 days ago, and now every time I try to open spotify it crashes, and continues to do so until I restart my phone, then I can have it open for as long as I'd like, until I close it.

ABakes

So spotify can't even publically address this issue but implements more glitchy features hoping that it's going to woooooo. 

Can I download Tidal music to the microSD card in my Samsung Galaxy phone?

Yes, Tidal allows you to store downloaded files on an external microSD card so long as you’re subscribed to the streaming service. To switch the download destination to an external microSD card, open Tidal on your Android or iPhone. Go to the “Settings” menu in the app. Tap “Music Playback” > “Download Destination” to toggle between download destinations. From there, you may select “Internal” or “Memory Card.”

From a spotify Tidal comparison page. Ahaha. 

So looks like this is a well known issue spotify at this point is choosing to ignore.

dgjn6qvxrzudgtsgt5s3

It's 2023 and this issue has been ongoing for years!  Does Spotify listen?

Here is the behaviour

1. Set Spotify to use the external storage which is the SD Card
  2. Music is downloaded to the SD Card
  3. Phone is restarted
  4. Spotify reverts back to Internal Storage and downloads the same music to Internal Storage

The settings are never retained, regardless if we re-install or follow any recommended instructions.

Other apps don't have this issue and retain their settings.

We are premium members paying for this service and features.  For an issue that's spanned years (search the community forums), I repeat, why is Spotify not listening?