Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Wrong podcast episode played from Search

We've received multiple reports that when a podcast episode is played from the Search bar, another episode gets played instead of the one selected. This is happening on iOS devices.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your posts and the info you've provided. 

We've received word that this issue should now be fixed in the latest app release. If you haven't already, please update your app to Spotify for iOS version 8.8.36.

If you're still experiencing this issue, there is also the following workaround: Playing the episode directly from the search results, or by adding the episode to Your Library and playing from the library. If the issue persists, let's recommend utilizing the web player for the mean time.

Cheers!
Comments
Alex
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• device + OS version

• exact Spotify version

• Short Video recording of the issue

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

DrtyD

+1 for @Jb8880 resolution… it appears to be stuck on a recent podcast episode. I went to another recent (already played episode) and started the played the episode again and paused it… then scrolled WAY back to the episode I actually want and hit play and it worked 🙂 thank you!! This is well after trying to restart my phone, log out of Spotify and log back in, re-download Spotify etc. and the only thing that worked was JB8880 fix!

lambinini

Open the view with all episodes, choose one you want to hear (don't open it), click on it and keep holding until it starts - it worked for me 

xmonkee

Same exact issue. Very annoying.

semma03

We are experiencing the same issue... we verified that this is still an issue on May 19th. We also verified with multiple users in our building, over 10, that have the same issue. Hoping to find a solution soon. Thank you Spotify. 

Device + OS version : iPhone 13 Pro, 16.4.1 (a)

exact Spotify version : 8.8.36.571

Short Video recording of the issue : Cant upload a video since it has to be a link.

mac992

Been over a month since this issue has been raised and still no fix. Apple Music is looking better with each passing day. Can we have an update?

davidoliver

If you experienced a situation where the wrong podcast episode played when you performed a search, there could be a few possible reasons for this:

Incorrect search terms: Make sure you entered the correct search terms when looking for the specific podcast episode. Double-check the episode title, podcast name, or any keywords related to the episode. Using more specific and precise search terms can help narrow down the results.

Podcast metadata error: It's possible that there was an error in the metadata associated with the podcast episode. Metadata includes information like the episode title, description, and tags. If there was an error in the metadata, it could have led to the wrong episode being displayed in the search results.

Podcast hosting platform issue: Sometimes, podcast hosting platforms or RSS feeds may experience glitches or errors that can cause incorrect episodes to be served when performing searches. This can be temporary and resolved by the podcast provider or platform.

User error: It's also possible that the wrong episode was selected or played due to a user error, such as accidentally clicking on the wrong episode or misinterpreting the search results. Double-check your selection and make sure you're choosing the correct episode.

je4_xez1-1y

David Oliver- I literally have a video of me tapping directly on the play button for the episode I want and it plays the wrong episode, and this is occurs across multiple instances/episodes/podcasts. It only happens in certain menu situations. I think we can pretty safely eliminate the user error and incorrect search terms options there. It’s a bug. Spotify needs to fix it. 

mrj1000

Wrong podcast issue and can’t vote….

Alex
Status changed to: Fixed

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your posts and the info you've provided. 

We've received word that this issue should now be fixed in the latest app release. If you haven't already, please update your app to Spotify for iOS version 8.8.36.

If you're still experiencing this issue, there is also the following workaround: Playing the episode directly from the search results, or by adding the episode to Your Library and playing from the library. If the issue persists, let's recommend utilizing the web player for the mean time.

Cheers!