Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I sort playlists by recently added on Android Auto?

How do I sort playlists by recently added on Android Auto?

I know how to sort a playlist so that recently added songs are at the top of the playlist on my mobile app, but Android Auto doesn't reflect that sorted playlist. How do I do this on Android Auto so I can easily select a more recently added song?

16 Replies

Hey @joshuajmlee,

Thanks for posting here.

It's a good idea to try re-pairing your phone with the car to see if anything changes.

We'd suggest you also check if the firmware of the devices are up-to-date.

Just to double-check-did this occur, for example, after an update?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I "re-pair" to android auto every time I get into my vehicle and plug my phone in. 

This has never "worked". I don't see any options to sort playlists on the screen in my vehicle and never have, which is why I'm asking how to sort and not saying that something broke. 

Hi @joshuajmlee,

Thank you for your reply and apologies for the confusion.

At the moment, you're experiencing the expected behavior since Android Auto doesn't have a setting to sort your playlists. However, we recommend having a look at this Idea suggesting that possibility.

You can support the idea by adding your +VOTE , that'll make sure you stay up-to-date with any relevant updates about this. Take into account that the "Closed" status doesn't mean the idea won't be implemented. If it reaches the necessary amount of votes, Spotify will consider it. 

We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

Let us know if you have any questions.  

MafeGModerator

Just vote for this idea. Don't spread the votes around

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Android Automotive Polestar 2

Operating System

Android R

My Question or Issue

I am seriously missing the option to sort my playlists in the Android Automotive spotify app. I have massive lists which I like to start with the most recently added. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to find this in this app. If it is indeed not present please add ASAP.

+1, an option to sort the playlist would be so great. Seems like kind of a basic feature after all...

What do you (Spotify) deem as the "necessary amount of votes"? Is there a specific number or do you just wait until you lose subscribers? I'm ready to leave spotify for some other service that actually has user friendly features. 

Hey @joshuajmlee,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

After posting an idea, it will start a process to become a feature. You can find the info and a chart with the idea process here.

Also, the Idea exchange guidelines have all the information about how your feedback reaches Spotify, including the amount of votes needed for an idea to be reviewed by the relevant teams. You can find the info in this article.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator

Every time i want to listen to music with android auto it defaults to custom playlists. Its the worst!!!! Please make an option to listen to date added if the playlist has a custom order placed. Alot of people make a custom order at first when they initially make the playlist, but later on keep adding new music without changing the order. That makes all the new music goto the bottom of the list, so when you try to listen, you're forced to hear the old music first, unless you go into your phone and play the music there, instead of through android auto. This may not be so bad, but completely defeats the purpose of using android auto in the first place. This couple with the spotify app constantly defaulting to random order playing (even when its a paid subscription) makes using the app in the car a nightmare. Please make these changes, it really is the only thing pulling me away from continuing my subscription. 

I don't know about you all but I am really getting tired of all these nonsense about votes and ideas. It is clear that there is an issue here. When the playlist sorting on Android Auto is not working for some of us then it won't be working for anyone anywhere! Why do we have to vote for an idea to be considered? We are the customers, we are paying and the product is not up to the standard it should be. So you should go and fix it before we customers go elsewhere. I believe that when we pay for something, we should expect to at least get basic returns. By that I mean like a basic feature such as playlists sorting the way we want on any platform or device . It appears that the communication is not happening there between the billionaires Spotify and Google. Well... just get that: We are not asking for a favor, we, premium members are paying for the service every single month and this money don't come easy for many of us! And to top it all off Spotify app is becoming painfully bloated and wonderful simple old features are being wiped out with every single useless update! I just don't get it. In my opinion Spotify is not looking any better than a thousand versions ago! It is messy, pushy and I won't be surprised if we won't get ads soon and be forced to pay an extra fee to avoid the ads on a premium subscription! Hands down to the amount of music offered though... but sadly the app management is a nightmare. That's just my opinion and I am sorry if this annoys some of you out there but sometimes we just feel like no one is listening and seriously saying that I will be going elsewhere at this point will be another comedy as Apple Music and other alternatives out there are no better! So I might just hang on a little longer here in this mess till someone comes up with the perfect music app someday. Cheers

So I have thousands of songs in my started folder and tend to listen to them in order of newest added. In app it is fine, but in my new polestar they only play in oldest order, so I can’t get to the newest songs without random? Any ideas? Thanks.

This should not be a feature that's hard to implement. If proper coding techniques were used, you would have reusable code that you could apply to any platform required.

A simple "kebab menu" (three veritcal dots menu) could easily be applied and fix any future complaints about this missing feature.

We're not asking for a completely brand new feature. We're asking for something that's already being used on the web app, as well as the mobile app.

Any news spotify team? Updated maybe?

Not only basic, but fundamental. Spotify is mental for dragging it's feat for more than 3 years on this by now. I use YouTube Music ehrn in my car because of this limitation of Spotify. Cold truth. 

Guys, I avoid using Spotify in the car solely because of this. Instead use YT Music. Are you seriously telling me this has been on the board unimplemented for 3 years or more?! Your heads must be elsewhere... 

Suggested posts