Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Using Spotify duo in two different countries

Solved!

Using Spotify duo in two different countries

Hi,

So I've heard recently that Spotify Duo is now available in my country. I'm in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend and we like making music playlists together. Spotify Duo seems like a great solution for us, the only problem is that it seems we need to be members of the same household in order to be able to use Duo (seems odd enough since not all couples live together).

My girlfriend lives in the US so I believe Duo is available for her as well. My question is, is it possible for us to use the Duo plan together, even though we do not live in the same address? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @DanielM6

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Unfortunately, you wont be able to both use the same Duo plan. As stated in the Spotify® Premium Duo Terms and ConditionsIn order to be eligible for the Premium Duo Subscription, both the primary account holder and the subsidiary account holder of the family must reside at the same address.

You can read more about Premium Duo in this support article

The Terms and Conditions can be found here

I hope you'll find this helpful! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @DanielM6

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Unfortunately, you wont be able to both use the same Duo plan. As stated in the Spotify® Premium Duo Terms and ConditionsIn order to be eligible for the Premium Duo Subscription, both the primary account holder and the subsidiary account holder of the family must reside at the same address.

You can read more about Premium Duo in this support article

The Terms and Conditions can be found here

I hope you'll find this helpful! 

Thank you for your reply. I can understand the financial logic behind the policy but I believe it discriminates many people who would like to use the duo features but can't, I'm very sorry to hear that this is the case.

I will be looking into switching to other streaming services who do offer this services for people in our situation. 

Hi @DanielM6

Thank you for accepting my answer as solution!

I understand your concern and that it's not ideal.

You're always welcome to submit an idea for this in the Idea Exchange. 

For more details on how to do it, make sure to check out this Spotify Answer

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Yea same, too bad spotify discriminates long distance relationships, I'll download something else as well

I agree. While I somewhat understand the reasoning from the company's financial standpoint, it does discriminate against couples that do not live together.

Hi Emilia, in my case my wife and have houses in Nairobi Kenya and Pretoria South Africa, we are regularly together and sometimes apart. I am just setting her up, we share both addresses but it is not working despite using the same address, can this rule be reviewed at the very least? I have already been paying for Duo since May, can Spotify remove this unnecessary rule?

Hi there @Lidas23,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

I know this regulation might seem inconvenient, but it is in place, because Spotify Premium costs different in different countries and regions, so that it's affordable on local level.

In order to set up your Duo account, you'd need to be in the same place when entering the address. Also, make sure that the country on your wife's account matches the one on your account and the address of the family plan. So if your account is based in Kenya, her account needs to be set to Kenya as well. More info here.

Once she joins the Duo plan, you can both move anywhere in the world, as long as your original payment method stays active and matches the country of your account.

Hope you find this info helpful. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts