Local files not syncing from computer to iphone

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

iphone 7 and windows pc

My Question or Issue

I have 3 local files that I got onto my pc that play fine and have been downloaded fine on there. However I would also like to play them on my phone and they only show up as grey and won't let me play them. I'm on the same network on both devices, the playlists are downloaded on both devices, I've tried to play the songs on my pc and then switch to my phone but it won't allow me, I have tried to enter offline mode and then reconnect, and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone as well as log off and back on with both devices but nothing seems to work. I have never tried this in the past so I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but all other posts and sources I've found with similar issues don't have a solution that works for me.

8 Replies

Hi @reine844

Welcome to the Community 🙂 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one? Make sure to download the app again from the Microsoft Store.   

Also, take a look at the steps and recommendations you'll find in this Spotify Answer about Local Files.   

If you've already checked those steps and the issue still persists, could you let us know what exactly you've tried from there?

Keep us posted on how it goes!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I just did a clean reinstall on both devices and redownloaded from the microsoft store on my pc but the local files still show up as grey on my phone and I repeated the things that I tried in my original post but they aren't helping.

Hey there @reine844

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know this.

If a clean reinstall using the guide we sent didn't do the trick, there's also a few other things we can try.

Another useful step in is to change the source folder of the local files on the pc.

The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

That didn't work either

Hi again @reine844

Thanks for trying it!

Could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your devices?

Also, would you mind checking if there is any pending updates of your devices' OS?

We'll be waiting for your reply 🙂

EniModerator

the iphone is an iPhone 7 and its running ios 13.6.1 (there is an update for it but I've heard it isn't great for an iphone7)
the computer has a Dell Vostro 5490 system model and is running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro and there are no updates pending

Hi @reine844

Thanks for sending us this info. 

In this case, we suggest that you make sure to have the OS of your phone up-to-date as well to ensure optimal performance.

Also, we recommend checking this article to make sure the local files meet those requirements.

Keep us in the loop!

EniModerator

No problem! The local files are supported, they are all mp3 files. Like I said before I'm not going to be updating my phones OS because it will negatively affect my phone in other areas. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to keep you in the loop about, seeing as neither of us have a solution. If I do somehow find one, I will post it here. Thanks for trying to help 🙂

Suggested posts