Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Select and Move Multiple Songs at Once

Select and Move Multiple Songs at Once

Plan

Premium

Device

Chromebook

Operating System

Chrome OS

My Question or Issue

I'm currently trying to organize my playlists and I want to move songs around. I have one playlist with hundreds of songs. I would like to select multiple songs at once and move them to a new playlist. It's really a hassle to move on song at a time and quite time consuming. Is there anyway I can move several songs simultaneously on a Chromebook?

8 Replies

Hi @10tullj,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

If your Chromebook is Google Play Store enabled, you can download the Android version of the Spotify app from the Google Play Store.

You can select multiple songs within a playlist by holding down “Ctrl” on your keyboard while selecting the songs; or you can accomplish this by clicking on one song, holding “Shift,” and then selecting another song in the playlist (such that all the songs between the first and the second song that you selected will be highlighted).

Once you’ve selected multiple tracks that you’d like to add to another playlist of yours, you can then drag them onto the title of the playlist in the left panel of the Spotify app to add them to it; or right-click on the selected tracks, choose "Add to Playlist," and select the playlist that you'd like to add them to.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamonSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply, but my Chromebook doesn't appear to have an option for the Google Play Store in settings.

Hi @10tullj,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, selecting multiple songs on a Chromebook is not currently possible, since Chromebooks run the mobile app, which does not allow that. However, there is a Live Idea for being able to select multiple tracks (e.g. to add to or remove from a playlist) on mobile devices, which I recommend adding your +VOTE to if this is something that you’re interested in. The more votes an idea gets, the likelier it is that Spotify will implement it; and you can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

As for accessing the Google Play Store, you can try enabling Google Play by following the instructions here. You can also read this article from Chromegeek, which contains links to the Google Play store and instructions regarding how to install it.

You can also try downloading the Spotify app from Amazon here, to see if that works.

Alternatively, you can also feel free to use the Spotify Web Player.

AdamDamonSpotify Star

It is not only a hassle in Chrome. There was a new update Spotify recently and now it has become a pain in the ass to move several songs in a list.
1) if I wanna select two or more songs with SHIFT-arrow the second “selected song” is just a random song in a list. Which is horrible in a list with 400 songs, because I have to move back to the song I want.
I figured out that, when I move the arrow downwards it is less problematic then the upwards.

2) if I wanna move the selected songs up or down, it takes minutes to just get them in the right place, because navigating through the list with selected songs (mouse button down) goes very very slowly.

Before December 2020 it was a easy job. Now it is really hard to change a playlist.

Hey @Noekeindekoeke,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

If you are using the app on a desktop device, you should be able to select multiple songs next to one another using shift + the arrow keys. could you let us know if the selection continues to jump after performing a clean reinstall? This step lets you start afresh with the latest app version by removing any corrupted files from previous installations.

If that doesn't fix things, could you let us know the make, model, OS version and Spotify app version on the device you're experiencing this on? It would also help the troubleshooting process if you could borrow a friend or family members account and see if the issue comes up there as well.

Keep us posted, we’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Which is it? On 10/10/2020 you said we could move multiple songs on a chromebook. Then on 10/12/2020 you said it was not an option!  

Hi @hopingfor

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to select and move multiple songs at once on a Chromebook, as they can run only the Android mobile app or the web player; apologies for the confusion.

However, there are a couple of relevant ideas in the Idea Exchange that you may be interested in adding your +VOTE to:

• This Live Idea for having a checkbox system to add/delete multiple songs at once, using the mobile app
  • This Closed Idea for being able to select multiple songs at once, using the web player (while the status of this idea is currently “Closed - Not Enough Votes,” it can become an active idea again if it gains sufficient votes)

If either of these ideas are something you’re interested in, I would recommend voting for them; the more votes an idea gets, the likelier it is that Spotify will implement it, and you can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

It will also be useful for you to Subscribe to the idea(s) by clicking the three dots next to their titles; that way, you can be sure to be informed of any relevant updates.

AdamDamonSpotify Star

Update: This is now possible on the web player!. Chrome book users and web browser users rejoice! Select Ctrl or shift and click on group of tracks and you can move them around a playlist!

Suggested posts