Free

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 12 Pro

Operating System

iOS 14.7

My Question or Issue

Whenever I play music and my phone is locked, the app will randomly crash and my music will stop playing. When I go back into the app, the Spotify logo comes up since the app crashed and my song has restarted (when I press play, it starts from the beginning). I have attempted multiple troubleshooting methods from other posts: delete and reinstall the app, perform a clean reinstall on all devices, and enable all necessary permissions in settings. This is very frustrating and happens each listening session (it just crashed 3 times within 15 minutes). This does not occur on my iPad using the same account. Please help!

7 Replies

Hi there @samduongbrett,

Thank you for your post here in the Community and for the troubleshooting you've done so far. That's a great start!

Can you try the following:

• Try with a different internet connection
  • Soft reset of the device
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date
  • Ensure device has enough storage space

If that doesn't do the trick, can you have someone log in with a their account on the device - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!​

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

I was not able to use a different internet connection, but when I used by 5G data connection, the issue persisted. It also persisted after a soft reset. My phone is running on the most updated system and has enough storage. I was able to log in with a different account (premium) on my device and the issue did not occur! But I would like to go back to using my personal account and would really appreciate further help. Thank you!

Hi there @samduongbrett

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Could you let us know if this happens with a specific playlist or with all of them? 

It's also a good idea to exclude the app from any Battery optimization software that might be active on your smartphone.

Lastly, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update either of Spotify or the OS of your phone. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I do not believe I have any battery optimization software; should I have background app refresh on or off for Spotify? This issue has been happening for a while so I don't recall if there was a specific event that it began after. The issue happens with any playlist or album I am listening to. I have noticed that it does not seem to happen with podcasts but I have not listened to a podcast in some time so I will listen to one and update you if the issue occurs.

Hey @samduongbrett,

Thanks for your reply.

The background refresh should be on. Take your time to test it with podcasts and keep us posted.

However, since you mentioned that it didn't happen with the other account, it sounds like it's an account-related issue.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Hi Carlos,

I have spent the last month thoroughly listening to podcasts and I can assure you that the crash does not occur when listening to podcasts, only to music. When I switched from a podcast to music, the app crashed. I never experienced this issue when listening to a podcast.

Looking forward to your reply!

Hey @samduongbrett,

Thanks for the reply.

One last thing we can try is for you to create a free account. Log in with that and test if music is playing without crashing for some time.

If that's the case, you might consider transferring your Music library over to the new account. You can follow this how to guide

We understand that this is inconvenient, but it sounds like there might be an issue with your original account.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts