Bad Bluetooth sound quality iOS 12

Jemi

Hey everyone,

We recommend that you get in touch with Apple regarding this. For any other questions or issues, feel free to create a new topic and we'll make sure to help you out. 

All the best!

Re: Bad Bluetooth sound quality iOS 12

rossmilner
Regular

Tested last night and no luck for me. Disabling Wi-Fi using both methods does nothing and the bad quality of music and popping bass noises are still there exactly the same.

runexnilsen
Regular

Make sure to disable it in Settings and not just in the drop-down control center

rossmilner
Regular

Yeah like I said I have disabled Wi-Fi using BOTH methods and it didn't work at all

DanteOne
Regular

Popping Bass and low quality is not my problem. My highs/treble cycle through normal sound /muffled sound. Quality stays the same.

Bass & Mids are not affected. 

rossmilner
Regular

I think at this point it's fair to say that any type of audio quality loss is classed as a bug and needs to be fixed, regardless of how it presents itself. It wasn't there in iOS11 and is all of a sudden present in iOS12 so it's clearly a software issue. All the music I'm trying to play has been purchased directly from the iTunes Music Store and I'm listening to it offline directly from the local storage on iPhone via bluetooth in my car. These issues should not be happening, it was present in the beta, and it's present now on the final release after what Apple call 'extensive testing'.

cscottrun
Regular

I'm so glad I found this thread.  I'm a bit of an audiophile, and I noticed a few weeks ago that treble, in particular cymbols (for whatever reason), click in and out randomly. I have been going crazy trying to figure out what the problem was. First I thought it was Spotify, but I was able to replicate the issue on youtube and Napster (using a family member's account).  Then I thought it was my phone (iPhone X), but again was able to replicate the issue using a different device (iPhone XS). 

I noticed just yesterday that plugging my iPhone into the USB port on my Jeep,  connecting to carplay and playing music through carplay fixes (or circumvents?) this issue.  

For a few weeks I thought it was possible that one of my speakers had blown, or that the UConnect system in my Jeep was having issues.  My problem is not easily detectible since it's mainly background treble and I suspect a good amount of people would not notice it so it is comforting finding this thread.  

Jainlight
Music Fan

Many thanks for the above. It once again confirms that the problem is an interaction between iOS 12 and Bluetooth, since a number of people have found that the problem goes away with use of an auxillary-type cable.  As related above, my problem as well coincided with occasional high-treble sounds to such an extent that I suspected a defective speaker and even tried setting the EQ at Treble Reducer (Settings>Music>Playback). Clearly this is something that Apple has to fix, but on the multiple occasions I've contacted them, they're either clueless or insist that the new 12.0.1 update addresses the problem, which by virtually all accounts it does not. Until then I'm sticking with 11.4 as long as possible.

cscottrun
Regular

Actually, I thought I was having the issue when I played music through the USB cable with car play disabled (I don't love carplay so on my old phone I used to keep it disabled).

Just yesterday, however, on my new iPhone (I have yet to disable carplay on it), I was able to circumvent the problem by playing music through the USB cable BUT carplay was active. 

Tomorrow I will test whether it is playing over USB that stops the issue (even with carplay disabled), or if it is playing over USB with carplay enabled that stops the problem. 

So really, my question is whether carplay needs to be connected to stop the problem. 

Jainlight
Music Fan

Got it.  I don't know if it clarifies anything or adds to the conversation, but my own car (that had the problem we're talking about) doesn't have the capacity to use CarPlay.

cscottrun
Regular

Also, FYI, Apple stopped signing 11.1.4, so if you upgrade back to ios 12, it is my understanding that you will not be able to downgrade again. 

SUGGESTED POSTS