Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Genius Lyrics Auto Pop-up

Solved!

Disable Genius Lyrics Auto Pop-up

Okay so I'm not a big fan of the Genius Behind the Lyrics option. But at least you could just ignore it by not clicking on it. Not anymore. Spotify's latest iOS update makes the "Behind the Lyrics" window pop-up automatically and you can't see the album cover anymore. This is incredibly annoying. I'm not asking to remove this feature since I doubt you would anyways (based on your history of ignoring issues on this site). But at the very least you can revert the feature back to how it was. We like our album covers, thank you very much!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Apparently, in the next update, which is 7.9, there will be an option in the apps' settings to disable Genius Behind the Lyrics on the now playing screen. Fingers crossed.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 00.29.30.png

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I can confirm that in the 7.9 update, there will be this option, thank god

IMG_0238.PNG

Marked as solution

I was actually super glad they brought back lyrics to at least one device but the forced story about the song is really the most annoying part. I'd love to disable the story part.

35 Replies

I completely agree. Seeing the genius automatically is very annoying. Hopefully they will revert it back or at least make the options available for premium users.

This is incredibly awful! Ruins the app experience completey. Get rid of it Spotify!

Also agree with this. Hate it so much that considering going back to google play.

I also agree. It just seems like a needless feature to have automatically come up and use more data and having no way to disable it is ridiculous

I hate the lyrics auto-pop-up. There should be an option to disable the auto-pop up.  Fix it spotify!

Vote here for a disable option https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Music-Option-to-Disable-Behind-the-Lyrics/idi-p/1281...

Can't find any other votes related.

Hate this! I actually thought there was something wrong with my install and deleted/re-installed to try and fix it. 😠

At least give us the option to disabled this in settings (or remove it altogether).

Completely agree, having the genius thing is fine, never used it as I didn't like it. Since the new update, it comes up automatically and it's really annoying. There should be an option in settings to at least stop it from automatically showing, or even better, turn it off all together.

Cant this feature be given an on/off toggle. I find its good when im checking a new track to be able to just view the artwork. If i want to know more or see lyrics i would then turn them on, 

I proposed the idea to add a setting in the app to be able to turn it off/on [iOS] Turn off Genius Behind The Lyrics one year ago (February 2016) and on February 2017 they decided to force it down in our throats... wonderful move Spotify.

Not only is the genius popup annoying, it's dangerously distracting. I use Spotify every day in my car (mounted to the dashboard) and it's so busy that it distracts me while I drive. If they don't give me the option to disable this soon I while cancel my service. 

SOOOOO ANNOYING, about to use apple music instead. I only have the screen up when I have my phone on my dashboard in the car and it's super annoying. Especially if I'm paying for premium I should have an option to remove this. 

Marked as solution

Apparently, in the next update, which is 7.9, there will be an option in the apps' settings to disable Genius Behind the Lyrics on the now playing screen. Fingers crossed.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 00.29.30.png

Hmm. I'm familiar with Matt Suda so it Seems legit. Here's hoping.

why is spotify forcing these whack features- making me consider jumping ship.  that and the delayed releases from certain artists I follow is just annoying.  too many options out here to keep this up spotify!

Marked as solution

I can confirm that in the 7.9 update, there will be this option, thank god

IMG_0238.PNG

Oh thank sweet baby Jesus. I thought my cries would go unanswered. Thanks for the screenshot! I eagerly await the next update. 😁

There's a little drawback, it isn't enterely removed from the screen, see the video below

Yeah it seems they just give you an option to revert it to how it originally was, which yes, is still a little annoying but I'll take it. Hopefully, Spotify will find a less intrusive way of showing lyrics in the future.

There's a little drawback, it isn't entirely removed

Suggested posts