Macbook Pro

Operating System

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Device 2

iPhone 6S

Operating System

iOS 12.3.1

My Question or Issue

When I go to an artist on my phone for which I've already clicked 'Follow' within the desktop client, the option to 'Follow' (as opposed to the 'Following' status) appears.  It seems like the Follow feature doesn't sync between these two devices (Macbook Pro desktop client and iPhone app).

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @orphanpog,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

At this point, what you're experiencing might depend on the fact that you already reached the 10,000 items limit for 'Your Library' on your mobile device.

To clarify, the type of items you can include in 'Your Library' will consist of, for example: Liked songs, Liked albums, Followed artists.

In order to avoid being prevented from adding any of these to 'Your Library' with your mobile device, it'd be helpful to keep in mind that the limit can be reached across the sum of all these items with each device you use and for 5 devices max.

For example, you can have 9,900 Followed artists on one device and you won't be able to follow any other if you also have 100 items in 'Your Library' across Liked songs and albums on the same device.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Feel free to reach out anytime if there's anything else we can help with!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey @orphanpog,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

If you double-checked and can confirm you're accessing the same Spotify account across both your devices (you can confirm this by comparing the accessed accounts usernames within the app and see whether they match), have you already tried logging out and back in your account with your mobile device? 

Asking since such synchronization-related issues can usually be solved by forcing the synchronization in this way. 

If the issue persists, it'd be helpful if you let us know:

• Exact version of Spotify running on your mobile device
  • Does it happen while on the same internet connection as your desktop device?
  • Does it reproduce if you access your Spotify account with a different mobile device after having successfully updated your followed Artists on desktop?

We'll look out for your reply so we can look into this in greater detail!

Mario Moderator

Hi @Mario, I'm using the same account on both devices.  Logging out of Spotify on my mobile device and logging back in didn't force sync.

• Exact version of Spotify running on your mobile device  8.5.7.601
  • Does it happen while on the same internet connection as your desktop device?  Yes
  • Does it reproduce if you access your Spotify account with a different mobile device after having successfully updated your followed Artists on desktop?  I'm unable to test this one

Thank You for your assistance!

Marked as solution

Hey @orphanpog,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

At this point, what you're experiencing might depend on the fact that you already reached the 10,000 items limit for 'Your Library' on your mobile device.

To clarify, the type of items you can include in 'Your Library' will consist of, for example: Liked songs, Liked albums, Followed artists.

In order to avoid being prevented from adding any of these to 'Your Library' with your mobile device, it'd be helpful to keep in mind that the limit can be reached across the sum of all these items with each device you use and for 5 devices max.

For example, you can have 9,900 Followed artists on one device and you won't be able to follow any other if you also have 100 items in 'Your Library' across Liked songs and albums on the same device.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Feel free to reach out anytime if there's anything else we can help with!

Mario Moderator

I accepted this as a solution for now, but went ahead and made sure my vote was registered for this idea because that 10,000 song limit has been bugging me in different ways since I reached it several years ago.  Hopefully this idea will eventually be implemented!

Suggested posts