Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone 11 Pro

Operating System

iOS 14.01

My Question or Issue

Scenario: I join a group session at a friend’s house and collaboratively play music (no problems with this part), then I exit the Spotify app, go home, and the next day I open Spotify again to play music at my house — but it starts playing at my friend’s house instead. That’s a problem, especially when my situation often means that I’m accidentally blasting music though the speakers in my office while I’m at home.

Much like how I can only see my Bluetooth speakers when I’m connected to my local wifi network, I would expect that a group session would only work when I’m within close proximity or the device I’m connected to.

...or at least it should disconnect automatically when it’s been inactive for a period of time.

...or the Spotify app should alert you that it’s connected to a group session when you open it so that you know not to hit the “play” button right away.

4 Replies

Hello @user-removed, 

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

In order to play music individually again after a group session, you need to leave it. You can do that by taping the icon_connect_device.png button. 

In the group session, tap LEAVE SESSION or, if you started the group session, tap END SESSION.

For more details on the Group session feature, make sure to take a look at this article

If you think this feature could be improved, you're always welcome to submit a post in the Idea Exchange part of the Community. 

I hope you'll find this helpful! 

Hi @Emilia_8,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’m well aware that you have to explicitly leave a group session, however I’m simply pointing out that this logic may be faulty as it’s very easy to forget to do so (and this can have some interesting consequences next time you decide to play music!)

I’d be very surprised if I was the only one that wasn’t explicitly disconnecting from group sessions. For example, I don’t have to deliberately have to leave a wifi network, so why should this be any different?

Hi @user-removed, 

Thank you for your response!

That's a great point! 

If you feel like the group session feature needs improvements, feel free to post about that in the Idea Exchange. You can find all the necessary steps to do that in the last link from my previous response 🙂

More details on how your feedback reaches Spotify can be found here

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Suggested posts