Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Online/Offline

Solved!

Online/Offline

Hi, I´d love to have Spotify on my iPhone running online whilst WLAN connected but offline (to avoid streaming costs) whilst connected via 3G. Is this possible? I only got aware of the option to switch to OFFLINE manually.

Thanks for your help.

Best

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

There is partially a way to do that now, but not entirely.  The best way to ensure your phone is not using any data is to make some playlists, and mark them as available offline.  There is an option to disable syncing over 2G/3G, but that only refers to syncronizing offline playlists and not to streaming.  Here is a screen shot of that option in the preferences.  Mine is set to "ON" right now.

sync.PNG

Hopefully that will help you out!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Thanks jvanderb,

to avoid any streaming I also can turn Spotify into the Offline mode in the setting section, right? Unfortunately I have to switch it back to Online manually when entering my WLAN at home. Don´t you think this is something Spotify should work to improve on?

Best

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

There is partially a way to do that now, but not entirely.  The best way to ensure your phone is not using any data is to make some playlists, and mark them as available offline.  There is an option to disable syncing over 2G/3G, but that only refers to syncronizing offline playlists and not to streaming.  Here is a screen shot of that option in the preferences.  Mine is set to "ON" right now.

sync.PNG

Hopefully that will help you out!

Marked as solution

Thanks jvanderb,

to avoid any streaming I also can turn Spotify into the Offline mode in the setting section, right? Unfortunately I have to switch it back to Online manually when entering my WLAN at home. Don´t you think this is something Spotify should work to improve on?

Best

Hi,

I've a similar request and some adds.

It should be possible to

1. Prevent streaming in 2G/3G

2. Set the sound quality for 2G/3G streaming different to WLAN streaming
    Currently, you can set it only for streaming or download, but streaming in 2G/3G is important for non flat rates

3. If a song is played from a downloaded playlist, it should not be streamed
    I was streaming on the PC and parallel started a song on mobile from a downloaded playlist (premium). immediately the PC stopped! I had to switch to offline mode on the iphone. Doing so, I was able to play the downloaded song and stream on PC in parallel.
    It makes no sense to stream a song which is on the mobile device. This also wastes data for non flatrate users

regs

Northbuddy

@NorthBuddy wrote:

Hi,

I've a similar request and some adds.

It should be possible to

1. Prevent streaming in 2G/3G

2. Set the sound quality for 2G/3G streaming different to WLAN streaming
    Currently, you can set it only for streaming or download, but streaming in 2G/3G is important for non flat rates

3. If a song is played from a downloaded playlist, it should not be streamed
    I was streaming on the PC and parallel started a song on mobile from a downloaded playlist (premium). immediately the PC stopped! I had to switch to offline mode on the iphone. Doing so, I was able to play the downloaded song and stream on PC in parallel.
    It makes no sense to stream a song which is on the mobile device. This also wastes data for non flatrate users

regs

Northbuddy

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Several of these have already been suggested over on the Ideas Exchange so if I was you, I would head over there, have a quick search and add your kudos and comments.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts