Play All Songs of Single Artist

Highlighted

Play All Songs of Single Artist

Casual Listener
How is it possible to play all songs of a single artist in random order? If you click shuffle on an artists page not all songs get played, maybe just the 30 top rated songs. If i search for a artist and then instead of clicking the artists page go to "all songs" i see every song, but when i play them every song gets repeated on iphone ... So it is not possible to listen to different songs without clicking on every of them. Also "repeat" button is turned off. Can someone help?
17 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Play All Songs of Single Artist

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @kayamurer.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here 🙂

You're right: if you click on the Shuffle Play button in an artist's profile on iOS, you'll only get about 30 songs by that artist added to your queue (on desktop it's 60).

This is one of the ways in which to shuffle the songs of an artist, however many popular artists also have Spotify-curated playlists called "This Is", where you can find a list of selected tracks by the artist.

Currently there isn't a way to shuffle an artist's entire discography, however we're always open to new ideas 🙂 The best way to get your idea noticed and considered is if you create an idea for it in the Community by going here - that way, other users will also be able to vote for it.

As for the repeat issue you're experiencing, could you try a quick reinstall of the app and see if that fixes it? If not, could you let us know the exact Spotify version your device is running? We'll look into it 🙂

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing back from you.

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Highlighted

How is it not possible to easily play all songs by an artist in iOS on Spotify in 2019? Why is there not an “all songs” or why can’t top songs just have all songs in order of most popular to least popular? Why can’t I order all songs by anything other than what Spotify says is the top songs? Why must one create a playlist or listen to a “This is...” for an artist? Why does this UI leave me feeling  powerless at the whims of whatever features the Spotify devs decide to implement? Argh. 

Highlighted

Regular

I'm not a coder, but I'm nearly certain providing the ability to randomly shuffle all songs by an artist is one of the easiest things to program. No fancy analytics needed. No algorithms. No thought. Simply dump all songs into a bucket and randomly select them out of a virtual hat. 

The fact the demand is out there and it's routinely ignored is because Spotify has decided not to have the feature. I'm guessing there's monetary reasons from the artists and record labels. I doubt this is purely a consumer-centric decision. 

Luckily, for most artists, folks have compiled all the songs and I can shuffle those (although their shuffle feature is also wonky, but I digress). 

One day!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

This is crazy, I just came from Google play, they seem to be able to do it.  There should be 2 options after searching for an artist - <artist> radio and Only <artist>.  I get you’ll probably have to steal more storage from the device and I get there has to be some limit - 2 300 seems reasonable 

Highlighted

Visitor
Lol and that is the way it used to be. I think this is their way to force people into listening to their horribly curated playlists.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

In the meantime I switched to Apple Music, which offers this feature. I am fully satisfied and the features are almost identical to those of Spotify. The only thing I miss are the automatic song suggestions to add new songs to existing playlists.

Highlighted

Visitor
I am having this issue on both PC and iOS. One of the big reasons I dropped my subscription for Pandora, and bought a subscription to Spotify was so that I could listen to all the songs of an artist.

I listen to music while I work, and requiring me to go each album one by one is a distraction from work and is a problem for my productivity.

Please add the ability to listen to all of an artists songs.

I run software development company, and this does not sound to me like a hard feature to add.

Best

Will
Highlighted

New ideas?

Casual Listener

You would try to have people believe that the ability to play all songs by an artist is a “new idea”? Why don’t try being honest for once and simply say “we’re not going to implement this”? New idea, indeed. 

Highlighted

Re: New ideas?

Casual Listener
  •  Ridiculous that you can’t do this.  Google play has it, looks like Apple Play has it, why not Spotify?  I’m not going to create my own.  I don’t want something that the band or someone else made up that contains only what they want you to hear.  We want the ability to select an artist and listen to all their music, period.  Or at least a transparent reason why you are unwilling or prohibited from doing this with no BS like storage on the device.
SUGGESTED POSTS