Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists Offline, does it use 4G Data?

Solved!

Playlists Offline, does it use 4G Data?

If I've saved my playlists onto my iPhone and then selected play Offline for each playlist, do I need to also set Spotify to Offline mode? What I want to know is if I have my playlists set to play Offline, if my phone is Online will it be downloading the playlist each time or am I ok?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've seen reports of at least some data still being used even when the playlists are saved to offline. I don't have any exact numbers, but if you want to be absolutely sure it won't use your data, the best option is to also put Spotify in offline mode from the settings.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Marked as solution

I've seen reports of at least some data still being used even when the playlists are saved to offline. I don't have any exact numbers, but if you want to be absolutely sure it won't use your data, the best option is to also put Spotify in offline mode from the settings.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

If you want Spotify to use -zero- data, disable mobile data for the Spotify app in the iOS settings (Settings->Mobile Network->scroll down and disable spotify). Playing offline playlists doesn't use data but every time you open the app it will try to connect to Spotify which does use a very little amount of data.

Having the app online but listening to offline playlists will use a little bit of data, as it will report your track plays and scrobble tracks to Facebook and Last.FM still (unless you force offline mode from the settings menu).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks! Good answer!

I have all my music made available offline and in two weeks I've used over 350 MB... I don't understand what's going on... I mean I understand some data might be needed but it seems like Spotify is redownloading every song again every time I play it!

I would gladly use Spotify in offline mode but I also use Last.fm so for the time being, that is a no.

Will Spotify for iOS ever play from cache when songs are made available offline?

Yes, it can use several hundres MB of data per month, depending how many songs are played/skipped because of bugs regarding offline mode and album art cover re-download.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/iOS-Offline-album-art-not-showing/idi-p/1203278

Please report this bug also to official Spotify support:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact

Thank u

Thanx iz helpful

What about putting the phone in airplane mode and playing the downloaded play list, would that stop using data?

iPhone 6s

iOS 10.0.2

Spotify Premium

Spotify usage when I started testing, 617mb

Spotify usage at end of testing, 1.0 GB

I just did some testing in my car this morning on the way to work. I played a playlist which I have downloaded to my iPhone, Spotify still seemed to be using too much data. I turned off Mobile Data for Spotify in iOS settings, songs kept playing no probs (no album art, separate issue), Spotify was offline and no data used. Turned mobile data back on, Spotify immediately started using data again, and in one 45 minute drive to work, Spotify used just over 100mb whilst playing a downloaded playlist.

Where is data going, as this is far too much data to be using for such a short period?  A few days ago, I went over my 3gb data allowance within 2 weeks of my phone billing cycle, usually I don't get near it and my usage has not changed.  This led me to investigate where all the data was going, and it appears to have going to the Spotify App.

:: EDIT: So after my initial testing yesterday morning (above), I Iistened again to a Downloaded playlist with Spotify online on the way home.  I checked about 20 minutes into the trip, and Spotify had used another 300mb data (see photo), either throughout the day (when I didn't use it) or during that brief 20 minute drive listening to "Downloaded"  content but still online.  I ended up having to turn off Mobile Data for Spotify in iOS settings as I don't have an unlimited mobile data plan.  This is a pain in the left buttox as I would like to listen to radio sometimes, or music I haven't downloaded, but I don't think I can be bothered turning data on/off repeatedly to avoid this issue.  

I feel this may be a joint issue with iOS 10.0.2 and Spotify, as this version of iOS has had numerous issues with Hotpot and usage of Mobile Data even when connected to WiFi.  I would be interested if other users on different platforms have experienced this issue to this extent.  I was looking at moving to Family so my wife can use it too, but she has much less data on her plan than me, so this needs to be rectified before we decide to do that.

IMG_1913.PNG

This is driving me crazy right now because I downloaded 2000 Songs to my phone and tried to listen them while I was on 4G and my phone was using 1mb of data per second, literally. I kept refreshing and it was increasing a megabyte each second. That's nuts! It was a DOWNLOADED song but does it matter? It was the same if I streamed online and my phone used about 700MB of data in just 25 minutes!!! WHAT THE **bleep**.

Guys Idk you people but I live in a third world country which is called Turkey. I dont have a big data plan like everyone here. Spotify has destroyed my data plan as if a dam full with water has collapsed!

Please fix 😞

Having the same issue here! I love spotify and never had an issue with the data but I got a new phone and its not calling on the downloaded songs correctly and pulling from data instead. Pretty disappointed since the main reason why I subscribe is to not use data.

I paid for it but it still doesn't let me play offline

I came here because I am seeing the same behaviour, I have an old iphone 5s in my car that I use for spotify and it has a mobile internet subscription. All the playlists are offline, I have double-checked this. I did not start a new radio or anything I just listened to my offline playlists and within a time-frame of 24 hours Spotify has used 1.5 GB of mobile data. This is on an iPhone 5s running the latest version of iOS and Spotify.

I just did a test and here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the playlist RETRO ARENA TRANCE TOP 100:
    IMG_0002.PNG
  2. Then I have reset the stats
  3. After playing a single song for about 1 minute and 30 seconds the mobile data usage was already 50MB:
    IMG_0004.PNG 
    IMG_0005.PNG

What is going on here? Last month I was over my 5GB limit of mobile data after about 1 week which is not normal and now I am already on 3.2GB after a couple of days and I barely listened to Spotify.

This iPhone 5S is only used by me in my car and I have already completely erased the device and reinstalled everything (NOTE that I did not restored a back-up but did a fresh install of iOS).

Livee fast, die young!

I'm having the same issue.  Iphone 6S running iOS 10.2.1 and Spotify 7.4.0.  High data usage from playing Offline playlists.  Please fix!

Hi Guys,

For those of you who are still having this problem, have a look at my post below.  I did a bunch of testing and discovered it was that my device was not registered as an Offline device in Spotify.  May not be the cause for everyone, but hopefully helps some of you.

Excessive Offline Data Usage

I have all my music i listen to saved to my phone, my phone is connected to 5g wifi 80 to 90% of the time but for some reason, spotify has used 22.5gb of background data from my mobile plan in the last month. This is outrageous that this is even possible in the first place. Music is local and wifi is on!!!!!!!

Suggested posts