Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify does not work in iOS 8 Beta 3!

Solved!

Spotify does not work in iOS 8 Beta 3!

I just found out that Spotify does not work on iOS 8 Beta 3. The app just closes automatically the moment you launch it. I never experienced this on iOS 8 Beta 2.

UPDATE: I've tried removing it then reinstalling the app as well as restarting my phone. It worked. Although the second time that I launched it, well, it's the same thing again. It closes automatically upon launching it.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Even if they have patched it, developers are not allowed to update their apps for iOS 8 untill it is released for the public. Some of the crashes may not even be related to the Spotify app, but to the springboard itself. I'm sure they have the proper internal testing for it to have a nice and clean update for the release. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

They already updated spotify today, I have iOS 8 GM and it's working perfectly 😉

Marked as solution

Hey guys!

@SpotifyCares on Twitter has suggested a work around that might solve the problem: 

"If Spotify is crashing at startup on iOS 8, try changing your phone's SettingsLanguage & Region to another country, then change back."

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/513045543720079360

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

Hey guys!

Version 1.8 of the Spotify iOS app has just been released. Please post back if you are still having problems

Thanks for your patience while the developers worked on an update.

MattSudaSpotify Star

50 Replies

The app also freezes when I try to use the headset controllers and controllcenter in iOS8 beta 3.

To be fair, you should not expect it to work on an operating system it has not yet been developed to work on. Maybe try restarting your phone by holding the home and power buttons down for a few seconds?

@iCarl @Karlo Spotify does not support iOS 8 Beta's yet as its a developers release.

I'll escalate this issue up and hopefully get an answer here and let the devs know about it.

cc bro @user-removed
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

The point may be moot now that 8 beta 3 is out but, in beta 2 if the phone locked while in the track view, (the one showing just the covers and large play controls) when the phone is unlocked all of the play and window controls will vanish. The app hasn't totally crashed as one can swipe left and right to change the track.

Quiting the app resolves the issue and working around it can be done by not letting the phone lock while in track view. 

Squash those bugs! (and I do appreciate that iOS 8 is in beta but some of us use our own phones for dev work, these things are expensive!! :D)

@iCarl wrote:

The app also freezes when I try to use the headset controllers and controllcenter in iOS8 beta 3.

At least you can run it and use it. As for me, I can't. It just crashes automatically.

@vyxl wrote:
To be fair, you should not expect it to work on an operating system it has not yet been developed to work on. Maybe try restarting your phone by holding the home and power buttons down for a few seconds?

That is why we are informing the Spotify community so that they can optimize their code for iOS 8.

@jeremygoh wrote:
@iCarl @Karlo Spotify does not support iOS 8 Beta's yet as its a developers release.

I'll escalate this issue up and hopefully get an answer here and let the devs know about it.

cc bro @user-removed

Hey, thanks 🙂 I hope to receive another update within 2 weeks that fixes the crashing issue 🙂

@Thebadmf wrote:

The point may be moot now that 8 beta 3 is out but, in beta 2 if the phone locked while in the track view, (the one showing just the covers and large play controls) when the phone is unlocked all of the play and window controls will vanish. The app hasn't totally crashed as one can swipe left and right to change the track.

Quiting the app resolves the issue and working around it can be done by not letting the phone lock while in track view. 

Squash those bugs! (and I do appreciate that iOS 8 is in beta but some of us use our own phones for dev work, these things are expensive!! :D)

There's also an issue back in Beta 2 wherein whenever you are trying to play songs without stopping the current song that is playing, Spotify either crashes or the song is on mute.

If experience is anything to go by, Spotify won't fix anything until the final iOS release (even if they do fix things internally they don't release them).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Just installed 8b3 on my iPad 3 and it's running completely fine. So far...

I have to agree with Karlo, I'm not asking for support with the app when it's running on a beta OS (although I wouldn't complain if it's patched) but speaking for myself I'm a aying customer that wants spotify to be great and bug free.

We're effectively giving free bug reports! Embrace the helping hand. 😉
Marked as solution

Even if they have patched it, developers are not allowed to update their apps for iOS 8 untill it is released for the public. Some of the crashes may not even be related to the Spotify app, but to the springboard itself. I'm sure they have the proper internal testing for it to have a nice and clean update for the release. 

@LordArne wrote:

Unless they sneak in a bug fix like Tweetbot did 😉

MattSudaSpotify Star

Google Chrome has released support for iOS 8 compatibility already.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with releasing bug fixes for iOS 8 right now, it'd just be if they start implementing support for new APIs that aren't available on iOS 7 that is against the rules.

A bug fix update would be nice, but I'm not holding out hope. With each ios beta update being every 2 weeks, they might have to roll back any changes in 2 weeks again to fix another unknown bug, so I suppose they're waiting for the final 'gold' beta to address any issues at the same time.

That being said, the lack of engagement from Spotify staff is getting a little annoying of late. As someone mentioned in a previous post, we're practically giving them free bug reports while paying subscriptions. Answers to issues like this one, the lack of 'my music' on iPad versions, etc. would at least make us feel as if they cared. While it's great that some of the super-users here are acting as the middle man in narratives with spotify devs, people want to feel heard by the staff themselves. With the increase in choice of streaming services and the narrowing of the gap of song selection/features between service providers, customer service is soon going to be (and already is for many) a key factor in determining which streaming services compete well.

Spotify works partially on my iPhone 4s running iOS 8 Beta 3.

Plays music and connects OK but loses the controls in 'Playing from Playlist' view after leaving then returning to the app. The album image is there though and you can swipe to change tracks.

Specific versions are:-

iPhone Model A1387

IOS Build 12A4318c

Spotify 1.4.1.4

Keep up the good work Spotify. I love the music, the apps and the concept of streaming vs. owning 🙂

Also there is a weird audio bug where the volume will turn down by itself after a while, and when you turn it back up, it will keep turning itself back down. Not sure if this is a iOS 8 beta bug, or something Spotify needs to fix before the final release of iOS 8.

MattSudaSpotify Star

yeah never had problems on ipad running the betas, just doesnt work on iphone 5s. crahses instantly. I use spotify SO MUCH i may just roll back to ios7 unless this is something the gm may fix.(or spotify fix in coding before the gm)

iOS betas aren't meant for regular use. They are meant for developers to make their apps work on the new major release.

I have run iOS betas since iOS6 and most of them run smooth when they are close to the release, however when their is a problem with an app, you are stuck and the only thing you can do is either rollback or wait untill that is being fixed. Some apps update their apps when they are near the golden master because they want to be sure that there aren't bugs in the app/iOS and apple might change some things in the core.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Yep, or hope that Spotify is working on an update.

I have the same problem and I totally understand you just want to post this and find out if there's any temporary solutions like a third party app or turn off 'available when offline' so you can listen to your musics as normal
Marked as solution

They already updated spotify today, I have iOS 8 GM and it's working perfectly 😉

Suggested posts