Spotify on iOS kills wifi network

Solved!

Spotify on iOS kills wifi network

topanlego
Regular

I haven't been able to use Spotify on my iPhone and iPad for weeks now. Every time I launch the app it kills the wifi connection for all other devices on the network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Spotify on iOS kills wifi network

topanlego
Regular

So the answer turns out to be that the Cisco DCP 3825 is the problem.

I had a small portable WiFi router and bridged that to my Cisco DCP 3825 for internet. Then I connect my iOS devices to the router and ran Spotify. No connection drop and internet still worked on all devices. Then tried it with a another router I had around connect directly through ethernet and same, it works.

In conclusion, if you have Shaw internet and have the Cisco DCP 3825 modem/router get another router or complain to Shaw to see if they can upgrade your modem.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Steph_B
Roadie
Hey there!

That's odd. Just to confirm, whenever you use Spotify on your phone, it blocks the internet connection of your other devices?

If so, are you using your phone's hotspot function?

Keep us posted.

topanlego
Regular

This happens whenever I use any iOS device and launch the Spotify app. I've got 1 iPhone and 2 iPads and they all behave the same.

It's like the app is flooding the router with requests and kicks all other devices off. It doesn't block the other devices but causes them all to disconnect.

Even when the connection on other devices are re-estabilished I still get DNS errors for a couple minutes until the network stabilizes.

However, after a while all devices will be disconnected again and this process repeats itself.

Hotspot function is not being used.

Steph_B
Roadie
Hmm, that's odd.

Have you tried resetting your network router? Let us know if this makes a difference.

topanlego
Regular

I have restarted the router. It doesn't make a difference. The router I'm currently using part of the Cisco DPC3825 Internet Modem.

Steph_B
Roadie
Thanks!

Can you also let us know your ISP, download speed, and around how many other people use this network?

topanlego
Regular

ISP: Shaw Cable

Download Speed: 25Mbps is the rated speed. Last test on speedtest.net was ~20Mbps

Maximum of 2 people using the network. Up to 10 connect devices. Normally just a Windows laptop and 2 iPhones.

Steph_B
Roadie
Just to confirm, does the same happen when you use other streaming services, such as You Tube?
Highlighted

topanlego
Regular

No. This only happens with the Spotify iOS App.

I have the most current iOS and App versions installed.

Steph_B
Roadie
Thanks for reporting.

We've passed this along to our team, and they're currently looking into this.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd like to add, or if anything changes.
SUGGESTED POSTS