Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on iOS kills wifi network

Solved!

Spotify on iOS kills wifi network

I haven't been able to use Spotify on my iPhone and iPad for weeks now. Every time I launch the app it kills the wifi connection for all other devices on the network.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So the answer turns out to be that the Cisco DCP 3825 is the problem.

I had a small portable WiFi router and bridged that to my Cisco DCP 3825 for internet. Then I connect my iOS devices to the router and ran Spotify. No connection drop and internet still worked on all devices. Then tried it with a another router I had around connect directly through ethernet and same, it works.

In conclusion, if you have Shaw internet and have the Cisco DCP 3825 modem/router get another router or complain to Shaw to see if they can upgrade your modem.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hey there!

That's odd. Just to confirm, whenever you use Spotify on your phone, it blocks the internet connection of your other devices?

If so, are you using your phone's hotspot function?

Keep us posted.

This happens whenever I use any iOS device and launch the Spotify app. I've got 1 iPhone and 2 iPads and they all behave the same.

It's like the app is flooding the router with requests and kicks all other devices off. It doesn't block the other devices but causes them all to disconnect.

Even when the connection on other devices are re-estabilished I still get DNS errors for a couple minutes until the network stabilizes.

However, after a while all devices will be disconnected again and this process repeats itself.

Hotspot function is not being used.

Hmm, that's odd.

Have you tried resetting your network router? Let us know if this makes a difference.

I have restarted the router. It doesn't make a difference. The router I'm currently using part of the Cisco DPC3825 Internet Modem.

Thanks!

Can you also let us know your ISP, download speed, and around how many other people use this network?

ISP: Shaw Cable

Download Speed: 25Mbps is the rated speed. Last test on speedtest.net was ~20Mbps

Maximum of 2 people using the network. Up to 10 connect devices. Normally just a Windows laptop and 2 iPhones.

Just to confirm, does the same happen when you use other streaming services, such as You Tube?

No. This only happens with the Spotify iOS App.

I have the most current iOS and App versions installed.

Thanks for reporting.

We've passed this along to our team, and they're currently looking into this.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd like to add, or if anything changes.

I have exactly the same problem, but on my Windows client. Also using Shaw Cable (Vancouver). Whenever I open the desktop windows client my internet just dies (not even the client works). Started happening sometime last week. Tried reinstalling the app multiple times to no avail.

The web version works, but it stutters more than I can stand.

I have the same problem. Router cisco dcp 3825.
Marked as solution

So the answer turns out to be that the Cisco DCP 3825 is the problem.

I had a small portable WiFi router and bridged that to my Cisco DCP 3825 for internet. Then I connect my iOS devices to the router and ran Spotify. No connection drop and internet still worked on all devices. Then tried it with a another router I had around connect directly through ethernet and same, it works.

In conclusion, if you have Shaw internet and have the Cisco DCP 3825 modem/router get another router or complain to Shaw to see if they can upgrade your modem.

I dont think the solution is change the router. The problem is spotify. Whan i use youtube i have no problem. Its a bug of spotify!

The issue is specifically with this particular Cisco modem/router. It could the the Shaw firmware. Haven't had any problems with any other routers or modems. Highly unlikely that Spotify will try to patch their app to a problem they can't test.

In any case, this Cisco modem/router is a few years old now and the performance of this Cisco modem/router not that good to begin with. Needed to restart it ever couple days as the wifi connection would drop.

Sad to say but I have the same problem too on my Macbook Pro. This is unfortunately terrible. On my Android phone works without problem for now. When I open Spotify kills the wifi connection for all other devices on the network E.g Chrome, Safari. When I want to connect my wifi, first I must close Spotify app and then either I have to put the Macbook to sleep mode or restart the computer.

Hello! I also experience this one! May times! They didn't even resolve this. Had to reinstall the app many times. Maybe DNS problems? IDK

hi,

any solution for this?

I have exactly the same behaviour, everytime I start Spotify my WLAN connection gets lost. And only for the device the app is currently running on.

Im using an iPad Air (first generation) / iPhone 5s with the latest iOS (10.3.3) version and also the latest version of the Spotify App.

• re-install of the spotify app doesn't helped
  • re-starting the router doesn't helped
  • re-starting the repeater doesn't helped
  • logout and login on the spotify app doesn't helped

If I open the spotify app after re-installing and the login screen appears the wifi connection on the device is still working. But after I signin the wifi connection is immediately dropped.

ISP

Telekom 50dwn 10up

Router Model

FritzBox 7590

FritzOS 06.86

Repeater Model

Fritz WLAN Repeater 1160

FritzOS 06.51

So, this is currently the official latest FritzOS...

If I try this at work, then spotifiy is working perfectly so I guess it depends on my router.

I have exactly the same 

I have exactly the sam

Suggested posts