Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 12.4

My Question or Issue

Since updating the app last week, Spotify has started to use my mobile data to stream songs and podcasts even when they’re downloaded. This occurs when I am not on a wifi network. Cellular data use for Spotify is disabled through the iPhone settings, and the “use cellular data for downloads” option is turned off in the app. However when I play music or podcasts that are downloaded, my cellular data gets used, even though it is turned off through the iPhone settings. Switching the settings to offline mode through the app fixes the problem, but it’s annoying to have to toggle offline mode whenever I want to download a song. Is anyone else having this issue?

9 Replies

Re: Spotify using mobile data even when cellular data turned off

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @rtufjcnfick, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you check if you have another app using your mobile data, if the option is actually turned off in Settings > Mobile Data for that app, there's no way an app can use mobile data in iOS.

When you open Spotify it should indicate that there's no internet connection available (displays Spotify is offline at the bottom).

Just to make sure though, when on mobile data go to Spotify Settings > Playback and turn on Offline mode.

Also, make sure to install iOS 12.4.1 as it's the lastest version.

LoxerRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

HotHamWater
Casual Listener

This same thing is happening to me.

If my wifi connection drops off while I am streaming music Spotify will continuing streaming using data even though I have turned cellular data off in the iOS settings.

I just reinstalled the app and it is still doing this.

iOS: 12.4.1.

Phone: iPhone 7

Spotify: 8.5.23

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @HotHamWater@rtufjcnfick,

Could you try updating to iOS 13?

LoxerRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Neiratina
Visitor

I am currently experiencing the same problem with android. I can't confirm when the issue started, but I updated the app recently and the problem persists.

If I have pending files to download, after I turn on cellular data and even with the setting disabled, the app will still force to download everything with cellular data. I have attached a screenshot of my data usage tracker app where you can clearly see it's Spotify the app consuming the most data.

(Android 9 on a Moto G7 Power)

mr_archer
Regular

Same here. A few weeks ago I started noticing Spotify suddenly using my cellular data even with the DL using Cell switch is off.  I even went to App Info and App data usage and turned off background mobile data there too, and still while on strong 100mbps WiFi, I played about two hours of music today and noticed I burned 300mb mobile. Last month I burned over 2GB before I noticed. What the heck  going on all of a sudden? Clearly there is a flaw with the recent updates. Android 8 on Moto Z Force.

nzeppos

Same issue with the latest version of the app in Android 9. The app is suddenly downloading songs (essentially refreshing already downloaded data) even when the relevant setting is turned off and mobile data is used. Never seen this before. The other day it nearly downloaded 500mb on its own, depleting my monthly plan in an hour before I figured out what was going on and which app was eating up my data. I wasn't even listening to music at that time, I wasn't using the app at all. Hoping for a fix ASAP, this is an issue that is costing your customers money. 

Casual Listener

Same here.  iPhone 8.   Cellular data is disabled in phone settings for Spotify, but it's using data.  I deleted the app and reinstalled, and it's still doing it.  Dec 1 2019

Casual Listener

Just updated to the latest iOS.  It's still doing it.  Help please.

yachtsox
Visitor

I am having this problem too. I updated iOS and I thought it had fixed it, but today I noticed mobile data still being used. I have all mobile data settings disabled in my iOS settings, yet I am still able to listen to songs on the Spotify app. This is serious as I pay a lot for my mobile data, and have lost quite a bit of money so far, because often I'm not aware that Spotify is using my mobile data. Is there a process for getting a refund please??

IMG_6013.png
IMG_6016.png
SUGGESTED POSTS