Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

427 Replies

Not happy about this at all. I used this feature everyday, and was the only way I found new music. I believe the only reason why it was not used was because no one knew this amazing feature existsed. Please BRING IT BACK. 

Monumentally unhappy that I clicked on the update which removed this feature 

can an an update be undone?

We need to fight this.

I mean it.

This is really, really sad!

it was a great way to discover new music on curated playlists without even lifting the finger. I'm following a lot of contributors to bulid my own lists and the loss of that feature totally kills the fun in doing that.

I think people are using Spotify differently according to their listening habbits. And I'm pretty sure that you do some sort of segmentation of your user groups and you are well aware of that. This feature might have an overall "low engagement" - but it is definitely a very important feature for music enthusiats and DJs. The majority of your users probably just chooses a genre and hits play without even knowing of this feature. But do you really want to **bleep** off the small but important group that stands behind the great music community on Spotify?

So please think about your decision again and PLEASE bring back this feature!

Regards, Gregor

To anyone who just updated the app. You can get the old version by using the iphone's backup option. Just reset your iphone and find a backup from when you had the spotify version with touch preview. 

It seems to no Approve by the Aggressive "Spotify people" in the community . You should be consider about this. You have been wrong choice.  I quit "premium " for protest.     Please please presurrect.

Losing this feature has greatly limited my ability to quickly discover new music.  I am supremely disappointed.  IF low user numbers truly inspired this descision MIGHT I suggest being upfront about how shortcut features work.  Adding a "manual" or tutorial section under settings would be SUPER helpful.  I only found out about the touch press feature because my BROTHER WENT TO INTERN WITH YOU ALL last summer.  His explanation that new features should only be "discovered" is bull. If you want good ideas to flourish you need to bring them in the light. 

I understand this decision will probably not be reversed but if user numbers are truly the reason it died you need to learn from your mistakes.  Adding and then removing awesome features will only result in the loss of customers.  Frankly I'm not far from looking into other options after this. 

I loved touch preview as I could quickly preview songs without leaving my playlist. It was one of the reasons why I chose Spotify instead of Apple Music, and I am very disappointed to see it go. BAD decision Spotify. 

So basically you decide to remove a (really great) feature from the app, and then afterwards start asking the community what "great feature" we would like to have in return? That sounds the other way around if you ask me. Why not keep the feature -in- instead and thén ask us if we like it or not. 

You guys are really starting to over-engineer  the apps and it's not for the better. Oh no.

Please give us back touch preview!

terrible!

**bleep**, what have you done Spotify?! Was wondering why it didn't worked anymore till I discovered this post. Did use it all the time and really gonna miss this feature. I dont believe the low-engagement rate. Please reconsider. 

I was deeply disappointed with the decision of this feature being removed. This feature allowed me to pick songs for my playlist now it going to be harder making a playlist, so I've just deleted this app. It was my favorite music app but now I'll have to find a new one. 

Sincerely, Disappointed 

WORST IDEAAAAA. Bring the touch preview back please!!

Not a fan of this adjustment at all 

I use it all the time to preview a song 

it was one of my favorite new features of the past updates.  

I don't think it should matter how many people use it, it should still be an option for those of us that do use it. 

If if I want to listen to a full album to get a feel for it then that's what I'll do.  

If I want a 15-20 second snippet then I want that option as well.  

can you please change this because it lets me know if i'm interested in the song if i should listen more to the particular song. please fix this. thank you!

My App got updated today and I was shocked to realize one of my favourite features is gone. Really poor decision. It was one of the features making a switch to Apple Music unthinkable. It was an essential tool in creating my playlists or discovering new songs.

Seems like it's time to switch the platform now since this is not keeping me at Spotify anymore.

Why delete it without even giving something else instead. That was my favorite feature of iOS app, and I always was missing it on PC and Android. I think it wasn't popular, because it was a little bit hidden. I found it accidentally, but immediately became a fan of it. 

I was looking to test other streaming services, maybe now it's a good time :/. It'a silly to remove features that made you better.

Bring touch preview back!

Its a terrible update!! Touch preview is very useful especially while i discovering new songs. Please bring it back or do something else 😱

I've been a premium subscriber for about 4 years now, and whilst I think Spotify is a great service for the price, more and more negative changes have been introduced and features removed for seemingly no reason (such as this). I'm extremely dissapointed in this removal, as it was one of the best ways for me to find new music easily and efficiently. I simply don't see a reason for removal, and I hope this gets enough backlash to be noticed

Suggested posts