Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

427 Replies

Please bring it back! This was, in my opinion, what set you apart from other music apps. 

There was new version (8.4.17)in iOS App Store.  I installed it.
But there was No Touch preview Feature. Disappointed. 
And No new feature announcement in App Store as usual.

Spotify ,
Are you listening to our grievances?

Well, I just saw Spotify had an app update, and I stupidly hoped it was them adding Touch Preview back. 

NOPE! 

**bleep**, OVER?!?

IMG_5160.PNG

this was not a good idea please bring it back. the touch preview is really helpful and i use it all the time. it's really annoying to have to listen to an entire song when ur looking for new music. 

The removal of this feature has absolutely ruined Spotify for me. I follow discovery playlists, new music Friday, etc for the SOLE purpose of briefly scanning through via touch preview to find a song that I like. I do not wish to click on and skip to the upbeat part of a song to determine if I like it or not. That is Spotify's job. I don't know where your data is coming from that touch preview is not a utilized tool, but I do know that you are about to lose this premium member. I don't understand how taking this tool away because majority of people "don't frequently utilize" is benefiting your customers OR your company. Where is the fault in keeping a service that people have loyally paid for/utilized for years? Please reinstall this feature in the next update or I will have to take my business elsewhere. lauren_locke543@yahoo.com

Spoiler

What a stupid decision, completely ruins spotify as a tool to explore and find new music.  Had just signed up to Friends and Family package but will now have to move to Apple as without preview the enjoyment of spotify has gone.

It was a great feature, what a shame you've decided to remove it : (

A good option for long touch would be to bring back preview

Oh no 😱 Touch preview was one of my most valued features, once I discovered it by chance. I then showed it to several (sometimes long time) Spotify users and they immediately liked it as well.

Maybe the low engagement rate was due to a lack of awareness from users?

It was so helpful to screen playlists for good songs. Now it takes me many more steps to select a song and scroll to a representative part in the song. This is a very sad step back regarding usability for me.

I sincerely hope you consider to bring this feature back.

Many greetings, Achim

Spotify is making some ill-informed decisions that is heading their app int he wrong direction--backwards. You're making it worse instead of better.  I'll be exploring other apps to use and get off Spotify. Maybe Apple Music. Let us know when you re-enable the touch preview feature. Until then, see-ya.

This isn't the kind of WOW factor you inspire for... Until this feature is back which is the ONLY reason why I (and obviously many) stuck around you'll notice my account was canceled, that's $119.88 less in revenue per year you will recieve from me.

Why would anyone want to click more to preview songs? I'll gladly consider coming back if you not only bring it back but IMPROVE and ADD ON features like 'Force-Touch' to go directly to the song you like AFTER touch preview, we were waiting for that IMPROVEMENT but yet you just made the whole experience no better then what's available on the market? It was a genius feature folks... what's really going on? 

Apple or someone else will eventually beat you at this game unless you plan on getting into the hardware business and beat the competition at it's own game, highly doubtful! For now it's Google + YouTube Red with Chromecast for the same monthly fee & about the same or better experience you can possibly provide. You just shot yourself in the foot and I'm not happy you did btw... At one point I used your app more then any other on my Iphone 7.

An offical statement by spotify would be more than appropriate  

Please add the feature back. The only reason it had low interaction was due to the fact most people do not know of this feature. Bring it back and market it better and trust me it'll be a hit. I am always showing people how to do it. And I stumbled on it by accident. It's probably my favorite feature on Spotify. It allows me to make more accurate vibes to my playlists.

It was the best feature on spotify when I was looking for new songs. I really don't understand this step. I'm disappointed...

Hope you'll give it back

The Touch Preview was BY FAR my favorite Spotify feature, and now that it's gone, I haven't touched Spotify in days. The Touch Preview allows you get a feel for a snippet of a song, but not force to play the whole thing just to remember it.

Furthermore, whenever I find new music on Spotify, I usually used the Touch Preview to decide whether or not to add it to a playlist. At first, I just suspected there was a glitch was the app, but after finding out what it was called, and finding the forum, I couldn't be more disappointed. I don't see how it could have low engagement?? Even if it did, it'll be even lower now, as it's nonexistent.

If it bothered people that much, you could've created a toggle button, as others have suggested. I don't know why it seemed like a good enough to remove the feature without even putting a replacement. It feels like, as users of this service-- some of us who pay for it-- removing the Touch Preview was a real blow to us, please reinstall it immediately. I suspect this hasn't caused utter outrage among the Spotify communtity yet because they thought it was a technology error, like me, or they had no idea what the name of the feature is.

First private messaging and now preview? Are you trying to kill your service? Because you're well on the way of becoming another product of stripped features that has the potential of being great and user-friendly. 

It's very sad to see this go! I really wish they would add an option for it in settings because I use the feature app the time! I don't see why a simple option for it in settings could hurt. 😞

Poor decision!! From what i can see, the feature has a high engagement rate and not a "low engagement rate" as Spotify has stated. Who wants to go into albums or large playlists and click on every song to sample it? No one!

To me, this decision has spoiled my interaction with Spotify and to be honest I can't really be bothered with it now.

Poor decision pull your fingers out of your arses and maybe ask people/subs what they think as they pay for it no ? As it's a feature that has lots of people using it just look at the angry/ I am off to apple/google music now again poor pls ask for our opinions maybe that's it rant over 

WTH? I resubscribed mainly because of this feature, only to find out its no longer there. Im not continuing my subscription. This is what I was missing in TIDAL. Now I see no reason to use Spotify.

Poor backwards decision. as other have endlessly stated, low engagement is due to low awareness rather than a substandard feature. this is/was genuinely innovative. most of us discovered this by accident and everyone we've shown it to have loved it. very useful. used plenty (by me at least). much more preferable than having to slide right to queue then skip if i dont' like it. 

i doubt any users requested it's removal... spotify just got a little more lame. 😞

Suggested posts