Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

427 Replies

I tweeted Spotify and the reply I got wasn’t a oh we are very sorry so on but all it was , was we try to respond and value all feedback load of tosh did not wanna swear so don’t hold your breath people 

First, I came back from my summer holidays realising that you guys at Spotify had removed the app from the Logitech UE smart radio, which I have three of.

I was so dissapointed, and was thinking of going back to Tidal, which still has a Logitech app, or maybe try Apple music.

Because of the touch preview however, I decided to stay loyal to Spotify, since this was the best tool to ever feature in a music app.

Now this is gone as well, and I see no reason staying with Spotify any more if this is how it’s going to be.

I’m going to change to one of the other two before-mentioned if you’re not bringing this back, if not, at least give us a valid reason why you removed it, not some BS about noone uses it, you know now that’s a lie.

So what’s it gonna be Spotify?

The ball’s in your court!

Apple Music doesn't have "niche genres" like Spotify does.  It also does not have a compatible DJ app either.

We are in control.  Spotify is not.

Guys, I get the feeling if we all cancelled our accounts in protest, it would have little to no effect on Spotify's finances.  After all, Spotify has millions of paid users.  We are just a few hundred more than a thousand of those millions.

Am I wrong?

People are usually too lazy to respond or they don`t think their opinion matters, so number of people complaining here is just a hint, which is only possible to compare to other topics here on forums.

I personally know a lot of people who are deeply missing this feature and they are ready to switch to other platform, but they don`t waste their time to argue with non-existent support, which has zero options to influence this.

This is not personal fight, but spotify is just too unstable removing so many features and changing so much, it`s not worth it to invest more time into it.

As much as I’m upset with Spotify for removing this feature, I have zero intention of leaving them for another streaming service. Even without touch preview they STILL have the best curated playlists. Heck, their Discover Weekly and Release Radar playlists are reason enough to stay if you ask me. Plus Spotify has the most app integration out of all the available services. There’s even websites that allow me to manipulate my Spotify playlists right on my phone without even using a desktop computer. So, with that said, feel free to move on to another service. As mentioned above, I’m sure it won’t even put a small dent in Spotify’s bottom line, and it definitely won’t make any kind of statement. 

I’m actually pissed off. I never thought I would be pissed off at SPOTIFY !!! I guess anything can happen. This was seriously g]the most helpful feature. Keep posting man! Maybe they’ll respond to your voice. 

Absolutely against the fact that’s you are removing this little ‘hide’ feature only used by ‘purist’ because of a ‘data’ engagement reason. There is no point to remove it. This gesture is not used or being replaced now! So please SPOTIFY team. Give us back what makes a good UX in the use of the app. 

This was one of the best, if not the best spotify feature. It was also one that most other music streaming services do not have. It made it so easy to discover new artists and songs and I am extremely disappointed that this feature would be removed for basically no reason. It is a major turn off, especially for the most engaged spotify users. I have never felt obligated to comment on any of these forums, but since this feature has been removed, my satisfaction with spotify has decreased significantly. Please add this feature back, as there is no reason not to. If this feature was removed due to lack of usage then why are there 32 pages of responses to this post from users disappointed with its removal??

Everybody on this thread — click this link and vote!!! They are asking for our opinion and we need to voice it. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900...

I've been testing the other major music services and finding many reasons to bail on Spotify. I've already canceled my premium sub and using it free for now. But with the realization that preview is gone Spotify now is worthless to me as a search-and-discover tool. Due to the loss of this feature I'm just about done with spotify altogether. 

Really pains me to see this inexcusable update. Yet again, Spotify has cut more from the app without contributing anything new. 

Why can't developers wait until these 'new possibilities' for the long-press are actually developed BEFORE they roll back previews??

I don't understand this trend of gutting Spotify's most unique features. If you compare the app today to 2 or even 5 years ago, you'll see that features which enhanced the social and music experience (apps, inbox/notifications, lyrics, easy offline syncing, etc) have since been discontinued or severely limited.

My Solution is for YOU, developers:

Step up your game. Spotify was once a groundbreaking service in this industry, but stooping to the likes of your bare-minimum competitors is two steps back. You still have a chance to renew that once-held reputation. To find users who still care enough to believe that, look no further than this thread. 

this keeps happening again and again I just dont get it

I think that the people that removed the feature don't even use the Spotify app at all.

cuz think about it, you hear a song on the radio or from anywhere, then you decide to add it on your Spotify playlist, you then search for the song but there are tons of different artists, so how would you even know which artist it was?

before you could just do a long press on each artist until you found the version you like, now we have to go to YouTube and search for the song and listen to all the different artists until we find the one we like.

thanks Spotify, for making our life harder.

Chirp Chirp Chirp.... Please respond with something Spotify!

Bring that feature back! 

@StartGroup wrote:

Chirp Chirp Chirp.... Please respond with something Spotify!

Yes, that is exactly what i am asking for in this post:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/We-want-an-update-on-the-Touch-Preview-status/td-p/...

A reaction, that is more than referring to a month old statement. Following 32 pages of comments and more than 1400 votes, that is the minimum they can do.

I was hoping that this was an oversight. A bug that was being fixed in a future update. What an awful decision to remove this. BRING IT BACK. BRING IT BACK.

First Spotify removes lyrics, now they remove touch preview? Why is Spotify taking away the good features that I personally love and believe is useful, and not adding more to the table? Spotify get your act together. Bring back touch preview! I use it every time!

Suggested posts