Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

how to sync my spotify local files to my ipad

how to sync my spotify local files to my ipad

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 6s

Operating System

(iOS 10

My Question or Issue

No matter what I try, I can't get my iPhone to sync local files from my laptop. Every post I've seen about this issue is way out of date. I also do not have cell service so anything involving data usage won't work. I'm at a loss of what to do.

6 Replies

Hey there @ArmyPrincess,

Glad to have you on the Community. No worries, we're here to help!

First off, it'd be great if you could try the recommended steps here and here and if that doesn't do the trick, make sure you have the Bonjour protocol enabled on both your devises and check if your router supports it.

Another thing you should check is whether the files you're trying to import are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. In case they're iTunes, you can check for DRM protected tracks by following these steps.

Hope you'll find this useful. Let us know how it goes.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Nothing worked. I tried all the suggestions, but they're still not downloading.

Hello again @ArmyPrincess,

Sorry to hear none of the recommended steps made a difference, but I'll see what else we can suggest to get this to work.

First thing that comes to mind is to check if you have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in your Settings.

If that doesn't do the trick either, it'd be great if you could go through the whole process one more time, while also adding some songs from our catalog to the playlist as well as the local files, and making some screenshots of the steps you take and share them with us. That way it'll be easier to identify at what point the error occurs and come up with a fix for it.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

XeniaModerator

IMG-0202.PNGIMG-0201.PNGIt won't downloadIMG-0200.PNGIMG-0199.PNGI have space, a premium membership, and I'm online. My phone and computer are on the same wifi. I can't think of what else I am doing wrong.

Thanks a lot for the screenshots @ArmyPrincess!

There might be something wrong with the cache on your phone, which is blocking the download. In that case we recommend a clean reinstall of the app. This includes clearing the cache ensuring that all corrupted data will be removed. Head here to find out how.

Just a heads-up, this will remove all your downloads and you'll have to download everything again for offline listening.

Once you've reinstalled the app on your phone, go through the following steps on your desktop device:

1. Delete the playlist with the local files or just the local files from the playlist.
  2. Turn off the local files location in the settings (e.g. Downloads - turn off/on).
  3. Create a new playlist and add the local files to the playlist again (I suggest keeping the number low at first).
  4. Add some songs from the Spotify catalog to that playlist, to check if they can be downloaded on your phone.

Before you re-download the playlist, it's also a good idea to play some music on the desktop device that has the local files, to see if it shows via Connect on your phone.

Sorry if this may sound a bit repetitive, but make sure that you're actively logged in to both devices and have them open (not on standby) as well as being on the same Wi-Fi network, to sync local files from one device to another. 

Creating a personal Hotspot with the phone and connecting the desktop to it, might help (caution this will use 3/4g data).

Hope this will do the trick. Keep me posted!

XeniaModerator

I've tried everything except the hotspot, because I do not have service for my phone. That is why I called it an ipad instead of a phone. It just is not working.

Suggested posts