Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

Solved!

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

iPhone screen locks while plugged in, I’d like to see album art and song title while I drive but it automatically locks after 2 minutes even though it’s plugged in.

141 Replies

The problem as not been fixed in the most recent update 8.5.17.713 

I just updated Spotify to 8.5.17.713, shut down the phone and turned it back on.

Unfortunately, it's still not working.  I have an XS Max with the latest version of iOS.  

I also tried to log out, un-install, re-install, log in, restart. Not fixed for me either. iPhone 7 running iOS 13 Beta.

Why is this marked as solved? It hasn’t been and the “solutions” aren’t solutions.

It is expected that the screen should dim and your device will lock when charging. Keep in mind that you can always wake your device by tapping the screen.”

Except that’s not how it’s worked. I’ve been a Spotify user for 4 years and it always stayed awake if I had it charging. I have my phone set to auto lock after 1 minute and I am not going to be tapping my screen every single minute when I’m driving. Are you really recommending a solution that’s dangerous?

Hi Katerina,

can we we get something more than a candid reply? Also please  unmark this as solved, it is not solved.

your devs should have hot fixed this a week ago!!!

This is really a safety issue.  For those of us using Spotify in the car, it's not safe (and in many states, illegal) to grab the phone to unlock it to skip tracks or pause playback.  I've voted on the "idea"  which seems silly... this is not a feature enhancement, it's a request to bring back functionality that was removed.

Also, please unmark this thread as solved.  It is not solved until the OP's issue has been resolved.

iPhone X

iOS 12.4

Spotify 8.5.17.713

Just throwing my hat into this ring as well, I agree with everyone else. This is a safety issue, the last thing we need on the road is more attention driven away from the road because our devices aren’t functioning as they were. If it isn’t fixed I’ll look elsewhere for streaming music.

Why would you make a change like this??? This is ridiculous. You implement a car mode then change to lock the screen... absolutely horrible change.

Based on the fact you told everyone to reinstall makes me think this is what happened.

Unintended bug from an update.
People complain
You try to find the bug
People getting angry you can’t fix it
You decide since you can’t fix it you have wasted enough time on it so tell everyone it’s working as intended so people stop pushing for a fix
Now you have unintended **bleep** off customers having to unlock their phones every time they want to see what’s playing and/or change songs or playlists, etc.

Just fix it before people leave. Apple Music works well these days. I prefer Spotify. Consider this. While it may be a small number of us complaining, it’s a game changer for some who will cancel, each person cancelling will tell 10 people minimum about issues and complain, they will tell 5 and they will tell 3-5 pretty standard for unhappy customers multiplied by a few thousand people upset you have potentially thousands of lost revenues per month.

Where do I even begin with this mess.  

You guys change a key piece of Spotify's functionality and thus create an enormous safety issue as drivers now have to unlock their phones each time, thus being an enormous distraction while driving.  You make abbsolutely ZERO freaking mention of this change in the update notes to clue users in, so users are then sitting here trying to figure out if this is a bug or a "feature" change.  Then Spotify tells us all to reload the **bleep** App when they already know full well that it's a program change.  Then you redirect us all to another posting to vote on whethere they should change things back.  

Spotify, your customer service straight sucks!  And trying to get answers and issues resolved with this ridiculous forum format instead of having actual bodies that we can speak to when we have problems is annoying AF.  Apple music is looking better and better.  

I found this forum a week or two previously, saw the mod asking for iOS, phone, and spotify info, and I posted my info. My email account gets blown up with every single person posting on this thread, and now I am notified that there is a solution. Basically this mod says "I hope you realize your phone is supposed to lock :)" NO THE PHONE WASN'T DOING THIS BEFORE. There wouldn't be seven pages of people looking for an answer. I had rated the app five stars, I just changed it to 1 star and I am looking into Apple Music. I hope more continue the rating as I am following another user's advice. They will only listen when their ratings drop in the App Store. Even if they fix this problem, the next time something happens I don't want to be blown off with a pat on the head and a smile like I grew up with a pager. I know how to use a phone, I'm not the **bleep** who **bleep** up a perfectly good app and has to cover it up.

Yet another change that customers are against. This was a simple function that actually made the app a lot more practical. There is aboslutely no benefit from changing this feature. If this was changed to an option users could choose for themselves it would be understandable but to remove it completely is ruining the use of the app.

I have posted this in the new ideas section if anyone wants to vote to get this back

Bring back no autolock feature

@see_k wrote:

I have posted this in the new ideas section if anyone wants to vote to get this back

Bring back no autolock feature

The irony of having to post in the ‘new ideas’ section is incredible. 

Is there a ‘things Spotify f&$@ed up and won’t fix’ section?

I put on my favorite songs to listen while I play roblox but Spotify stops!!!! WHY!?!?!?

i do not accept the solution it is wrong

This is obscene. I posted a suggestion with Spotify CEOs email address (which is public information and easily searchable on Google) suggesting users reach out to him in the hopes of escalating this bug (which puts users, specifically drivers using the Spotify app) in danger, and Katerina took it down, citing I was in violation of Spotify policies, specifically “harassment” of Spotify employees. 

I would hope that a CEO of a $27B corporation would be keen to hear user feedback, especially as it relates to the safety of its users and the way they are operating the app.....

Does anyone know if apple music does this?

Last I’ve seen, Apple Music does not do this and screen stays on while charging.

I got a free 30 day trial of Apple Music on Groupon.  I'll test it out for 30 days.  Hopefully, Spotify fixes this issue, I've been a premium subscriber since 2013.

I ride my Harley Davidson and it’s such a pain in the **bleep** now!!! I can’t  quickly get to Spotify. My iPhone XR asks for my face recognition which I then have to wait for it to fail because I have a helmet on!!!   Then I have to manually input my code with my gloves on. This has been such a stupid unnecessary update. 

Suggested posts