Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changing country from USA to Canada and support problems

Solved!

Changing country from USA to Canada and support problems

I have an invitation from a friend (I'm Canadian). I once created an account while travelling in the USA, which I haven't used and logged in for some time. I never even used it, if I recall.

But now I'm trying to redeem the invite and having a hard time trying to change country to Canada. Your instructions are incomplete. I tried all the steps and there's still no option to change from USA to Canada.

I no longer travel as my wife has stage 4 cancer, and would very much like to open a Canadian account, try it, and subscribe. Thanks.

My first form submissoin to you came back with a request to email and check out this community. The email on your site is support-ca@spotify.com. This address bounced. Here's the message from Googlemail:

"We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (support-ca) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group."

I also tried to tweet @SpotifyCares as indicated. No responder yet, although that was just 15 minutes ago.

Please help.

See screenshots here about bouncing email:

http://screencast.com/t/qyC4LNs3AxmH
http://screencast.com/t/ukpudgU8

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As mentioned above, it doesn't appear that the system will currently allow you to change your country to Canada if your account is already registered in another country (it assumes since Spotify isn't yet available in Canada you will be creating a new account). 

Spotify support will be able to make the change manually for you. Quickest way to get in touch is normally via Twitter: @SpotifyCares.

You can also get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to lend a hand by email too.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Hi, I don't believe you'll able to manually switch to a Canadian account at this point, since this is based on an invitation set up. The support on Twitter is usually pretty fast to respond, although I'd still allow at least 24 hours for a response.

I'm not sure what's going on with that email address, but I will check around on that.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

"I don't believe you'll able to manually switch to a Canadian account at this point, since this is based on an invitation set up"

This makes no sense as my invitation came to the email account associated with the Spotify US account I has set up previously.  The instructions claim that your IP will determine whether you can change your country setting but this does not appear to be the case as it knows I'm Canadian-English at the bottom right of the screen but remains greyed out as USA.

I'm in the same boat, and it's frustrating that I can't even update to my current country.  It would be nice to be able to legitimately listen in my country of permanent residence without having to use a VPN, or even on my phone.

@spotifycares on Twitter solved it for me. Yay! Thanks, Spotify.

They fixed it for you?  Or they were able to guide you through steps?

How was it fixed?

I am in the same boat. Received my invitation for Canadian launch, to my Canadian email address. I activated it while in the US, and even though my account language is English Canadian, I can't change my country. Even when back in Canada.

Thanks!

Marked as solution

As mentioned above, it doesn't appear that the system will currently allow you to change your country to Canada if your account is already registered in another country (it assumes since Spotify isn't yet available in Canada you will be creating a new account). 

Spotify support will be able to make the change manually for you. Quickest way to get in touch is normally via Twitter: @SpotifyCares.

You can also get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to lend a hand by email too.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Yup, they fixed it for me.

Same problem, Tweeted them as well.  Fingers crossed.

Hey guys, if you're still having any trouble with your accounts in Canada please fill out the contact form at the top of this page

If you receive an automated message reply directly to that email--don't use another email address on the Spotify site. 

i have an american account but live in canada an they never sent me a invitation. Weird.

Hi, 

Just to confirm since it is a bit weird. Should we reply to the automated email (i.e. to the no-reply email account) to solve this?

Thanks

@SonOfAragornI - Yup, reply to that email. 🙂

Peter

Just go to this URL: https://support.spotify.com/ca-en/

Suggested posts