Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Library Song Limit

Solved!

Library Song Limit

Spotify staff-

I recently reached the 10,000 song limit in my library, which is a great disappointment.  As a loyal customer for over 3 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed your product, so much that I have shifted to using it as my main source of music collection.  There must be some way that you can enable "super users" to continue to file and organize their music over this arbitrary limit.  

There may not be many of us, but (and this should be obvious) those of us that actually reach this limit are your core constituents.  We are passionate about music and your product, and I can tell you that I have gotten at least 20 people to sign up to Spotify Premium over the past couple of years as I have raved about it.  I will continue to do so, with the caveat that Spotify just isn't yet ready to become a full-fledged music library of record for musical aficianados, much to my disappointment.

One more thought: You may find interest in the creation of some type of super user account that would allow you to charge SLIGHTLY more for those of us who desire or require a higher song limit (say, unlimited...) without having to alter the accounts of your millions of users.  Bottom line is that unlimited should mean unlimited, especially in this age of big data, but a 10,000 song cap with no alternative is absurd.

Thanks

271 Replies

I have reached the offline listening cap on my main phone and I will soon reach the limit for songs in my library overall. Considering I use this everyday and devote a good chunk of my time to curating my playlists, I would greatly like this reconsidered. I think of Spotify as an application I’ll use for life in terms of my music collection. Please reconsider looking into this issue that is so important to your most loyal customers. In general, I would also greatly like a sensible reason as to why this would not change if you decide to keep it that way. I am yet to see a reasonable answer on why this issue could not be fixed.

Same here, and just to add up to the conversation: I’m now considering moving to apple music (with 10 times more songs as limit) or even to YouTube Music because when I pay for a premium service I expect it to be for a long time, meaning that I’ll manage my music in this app for the rest of my life. I had chosen Spotify and been paying for years now, never gave Apple a chance because I’m sure I don’t want to be tied to Apple for life, but now...it’s definitely an alternative. 

Again, we find no reason to limit this and you’re just pushing away good clients. Please fix this soon or I’m going to another service. I understand that you may not care much because we’re only a few power users who get to the limit, but we think it’s just necessary and fair that we’re treated well. 

Thanks. 

First they remove the running feature which was a fantastic value add, and literally a few weeks later I get the message that I have reached a song limit in my library. I had no idea this existed. Such a bummer. Not only this but by discovery weekly playlist is broken and support tells me it should fix on it own but it hasn’t.

Seems like Spotify can barely hold on these days. Taking away features and failing to grow and evolve as a tech company should over the years. Wondering how much longer they will last. Sad because I really don’t want to go back to Apple but seems like a matter of time before it all falls apart for Spotify. 

😕

The thing that I find curious here is that they say that in your instant mixes you can save the songs so the IM can learn of your behavior. That means that although the song is not saved the IM still learn of that sort of "like"? In the web, the sing of "limit reached" does not appear so not sure if there is a limit there too.

This is seriously dissapointing to have a arbritrary cap. It seems to me that people with larger libraries are less likely to switch to your competitors, as swapping over a library is a lot of work. 

Why punish your biggest supporters? 

I was halfway through adding my music collection when I hit the cap. I guess I will look at Google Play or Apple as they can adequately fit my library. Come on Spotify, you are lagging. 

I had this nasty surprise today, obviously this is still a thing and its total joke.The **bleep** am I paying for? Playlist solution works, but its like buttering bread with spoon... I prefer to have music categorized by artist or album and Spotify does very good job with that in Library. I guess this way I will end up with too many playlists in a while, also it splits music into two places. Cap should be really removed or at least increased several times. I am seriously thinking about closing premium and giving some other similar service a try until this is solved. 

I also have to uncheck songs automatically saved to my Library when I simply like them from my Discover Weekly. Is that an intended UX feature?

This just adds insult to injury in a world where we're already capped at how many songs we can save to our Library.

I actually encountered the same issue a few months ago and moved to Apple Music, not because it is better, but because there is no capping... It is sad because I really loved Spotify's product and the suggestions and its library, but indeed, you guys are pushing away all your best customers just because you're too lazy to make a simple upgrade that your customers have been asking for years now.

I know and understand that all the libraries are considered as lists in your system, lists that are capped to 10k songs, but I work in IT as well, and I know that since you knew about this issue you could have came up with a lot of alternative as to how to manage libraries, and don't tell us it impossible or too complicated, all the other services do it without any trouble, you just need to stop messing around and get to work.

I agree. Unlimited should be unlimited. Surely users' libraries are assigned to an index as opposed to a table full of songs, albums, etc. If that is the case i just cannot understand what the rationale behind this limit is. I wouldn't expect that a large company such as Spotify stores data on old data warehouses either, and with cloud services such as AWS or Azure available today, I struggle to see why the limit is justified. As a paying customer I am now considering switching to other services that may not have this limitation. Could someone here from Spotify explain the reason for such a cap? And when this will change? 

I agree. I'm totally bummed about this limit. I'm also a premium user and have been for a couple years. I have to constantly try and find albums I don't care if I don't have to add a new one. It's pretty disappointing. Serious music fans will easily hit the 10,000 song mark if they are a collector of both old and new music. 

Please reconsider removing this limit or atleast making it larger for premium users.

Thanks

Yes, I think all premium users feel a little under done by Spotify at the moment. Once again I reached my limit and I have to move on good albums. This is not the service I originally signed up for, when I did there was no mention of limits, I originally signed up over seven years ago when a Swedish friend put me onto them. Shame, I like to support the Seeds and their good products, but Spotify, you’re letting the good name down by not keeping up. There information on their premium users is also inaccurate, like the time they have been with them for over five years as a premium user, but only acknowledged for two, makes feel valued,,, NOT.

Might move to YouTube Red, as I feel backed into a corner, but need to research a little more.

Love the interface Spotify, a bit annoyed at times with not being able to play my downloaded songs offline , because it still wants to see the internet on booting up the program and occasionally when I logon another machine my downloads disappear, but 10,000 SONGS IS EXTREMLY DISAPIONTING FOR THIS DAY AND AGE.

I don’t like felling this way and there is a lot of evidence from you premium group that feel the same and they are being ignored. There is no supporting love from Spotify officials. 😞 .....

Welp,

I just reached my limit as well. What in God's name do y'all think that you're doing by not allowing people to save more than 10,000 songs? This defeats the entire purpose of Spotify. Not to mention, it seems like such an easy fix!

Unless this is fixed soon, I will definitely be switching over to Apple Music as they have a limit of 100,000

Just so you know I have tweeted Daniel Ek. Moving this issue to twitter might help...

https://twitter.com/theKingPanda_/status/1005159921623715840?s=20

THANKS!

https://www.quora.com/Why-will-Spotify-only-allow-you-to-save-a-limited-number-of-songs-as-part-of-Y...

Here is topic on quora...So they "looking for a number of affected users" which is obviously not enough for them to fix this sh*t.

Give it upvotes, and invite other spotify representatives to do smth with this cap..

I have the same problem, and I’m deeply offended, that they just don’t give a f*ck about us, the costumers who are the most passionet about music, their main product.

Just so you know. I have tweeted again.

https://tinyurl.com/yah7hk75

but the limit indicated concerns only the songs actually saved on the device or simply added to their own playlists?

Nope is overall number of songs liked. Regardless of save status on the device or playlist. 

It's incredible, but if to count them they used a 2 byte integer at least the limit would have been 65536 (it's a joke obv). It will also be true that affects only 1% of customers, but this is already so after a few years, your main competitor allows to save 100,000 and I'm curious to see what Amazon will do. In the era of big data this is an epic fail for me. I have a family subscription, but I'm honestly considering amazon music

Suggested posts