Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Library Song Limit

Solved!

Library Song Limit

Spotify staff-

I recently reached the 10,000 song limit in my library, which is a great disappointment.  As a loyal customer for over 3 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed your product, so much that I have shifted to using it as my main source of music collection.  There must be some way that you can enable "super users" to continue to file and organize their music over this arbitrary limit.  

There may not be many of us, but (and this should be obvious) those of us that actually reach this limit are your core constituents.  We are passionate about music and your product, and I can tell you that I have gotten at least 20 people to sign up to Spotify Premium over the past couple of years as I have raved about it.  I will continue to do so, with the caveat that Spotify just isn't yet ready to become a full-fledged music library of record for musical aficianados, much to my disappointment.

One more thought: You may find interest in the creation of some type of super user account that would allow you to charge SLIGHTLY more for those of us who desire or require a higher song limit (say, unlimited...) without having to alter the accounts of your millions of users.  Bottom line is that unlimited should mean unlimited, especially in this age of big data, but a 10,000 song cap with no alternative is absurd.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you are interested in seeing the song limit increased, we recommend vorig for this idea in the Ideas Exchange. You'll get notified as soon as there will be an update.

We’ve blocked replies to this thread now.

Thanks for your feedback and have a nice day.

View solution in original post

271 Replies

Hi @TaraLynn1. Unfortunately Spotify has stated, that for the time being, at least, that they have no intentions of expanding the 10,000 song limit. Sorry for not having better news for you. Please let me know if there's anything else I might be able to assist you with. Cheers!

I have seen the previous communication stating their lack of intent to increase this 10,000 song limit, and want to be another voice clamoring for it.  Perhaps if enough of us that are frustrated with an otherwise great product express our opinions, Spotify will feel compelled to present a solution to this issue.

Thanks

In that case I would urge you to add your vote to the post I linked above. Any topics on this board will likely not be seen, and any new posts in the ideas board relating to that issue will simply be merged into that thread. Best of luck!

I'm seriously considering signing up as premium, but now read this.... 😞

Whats the current solution then???

Can you remove older songs/albums from your library you previously saved to make room for newer ones?

Hi @user-removed! You can certainly cycle through songs and albums to make room for new ones. The 10,000 song limit isn't a "lifetime" limit, but a limit placed on the amount of content you can have in your library at any one time.

For example, I am more than certain that I have listened to more than 10,000 different songs over the years, but because I only have ~4,000 or so songs in my library currently, there is no issue. Hope this clears things up. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Is the same true for the 3333 song download limit - that you can 'undownload' a song to make room for another?
I have to say, I am also extremely displeased with the 10 000 song limit. When I discovered Spotify I thought for sure I would subscribe, but when I learned about the song limit it was a deal breaker. That is inadquate even for the average music lover. If you choose to have artists full albums or discographies you will fill that in no time. Seems like such an unnecessary thing to be limiting and even if choosing to place a limit, that is so far on the low end it is almost useless for many listeners. The benefit of an increased song limit for the users that keep spotify going is much greater than any draw back for spotify.

I totally agree. I just reached 10.000 and discovered the same. These "savings to library" is just bookmarks, so why a limititation? It is really annoying. Every week there are new songs I will save for listening. I can only say that this is really really stupid.

iT is rediculous that there is a limit.......more and more people are going to be hitting this every day. You are in essence punishing you best customers. You are certainly punishing the ones that have had Spotify accounts the longest.

I myself wasn't aware of this limit until just now, where I reached this limit and went online to see if there was some sort of work around or reason to having such a limit. I completely agree with the words said previous to me, having this limit is just nonsensicle. I have been a Premium user for over 3 years, breifly switched to Apple Music to try it out, but ended up coming back to Spotify. I truly don't want to remove anything from my library because everything that's in there, is there for a reason. I also agree that as more time elapses more and more people will start hitting this cap. And for those that already have, it really is like punishing the best customers. I'd love to hear a legimate reason for this cap being in place, and if not, or if it doesn't get changed, back to Apple Music I go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Looks like their limit is 100,000. 

Surprised more people aren't running into this issue, but what an arbitrary way to alienate customers. I've been using Spotify premium for years, unaware of the 10k limit, and finally hit it recently after building up a huge library of music. All this time invested only to find out I can't add any new music to my library and for what reason? Maybe I'm missing something, but it's essentially a totally random limit on bookmarks that's only going to impact power users (ie: Spotify's best customers). As a result, I've canceled my premium membership and am now using Google Play, slowly building up a new library from scratch. I'm genuinely surprised that Spotify either doesn't see this as an issue or doesn't care, but until it's addressed I won't be returning. Very disappointed. 

Just hit this 'limit' - beyond livid.  The service as a whole is just going to the wall.  The 'limit' is totally non-sensical. Get it together Spotify.

I agree !!  I tried to download some new songs and I was notified that my library is full.

Stupid remark for a big company and I am paying for a premium account.

What can we do about this situation ?

Thanks !

I've switched to Google Play Music for this reason for more than a year ago and have been a very happy customer since. Their library is unlimited, albeit you can "only" upload 50.000 songs (MP3s) of your own... 5 times as much as the total library limit on Spotify.

I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed, as it should be very easy for a company witch such a modern software architecture. It might only be a problem for about 1% of Spotify users, but - as others have stated here before me - those 1% probably are the most dedicated and passionate users.

Google Play Music still has some catching up to do concerning music discovery, but I'm sure they'll get there in the end. When they do, there's literally no unique selling point left for Spotify.

I completely agree with you ! This 10k song limit is ridiculous and there
sill is not a solution to alphabetize the playlists. I am also part of the
1% and ready to drop Spotify all together. And I am a premium member !!

If Spotify's CEO and upper management does not care about the needs and
request of the 1%, then in reality, that tells me and everyone else, that
they DO NOT CARE ABOUT anyone except them selves !!! And MONEY !! NO
Customer support is a reflection of their LACK of CONCERN !!

A company this size and there is no way to call them and sending emails is
a big pain - NOTE - they ignore us anyway.

I can call Apple care and have a rep on the phone is 5 minutes !! Same with
Amazon.

I would like to hear a reply form Upper Management and speak to them on the
phone.

I am waiting to hear from you !!

Thanks,
Herb Isenberg
415-297-5533

I've reached this limit today. And I've also been a premium subscriber for some time now. It's a bit annoying. I mean, ok, I could/should make room and clean the albums I'm not listening on a regular basis, but it's not the point. Because the point is that I like to have all these songs and albums available and chose whatever I want whenever I want without the need to take time to find what I could be listening to. Because I listen to spotify 90% of the time at work, I don't want to spend too much time searching for stuff I could have already saved in my library (basically like my records collection at home).

Also, I make a lot (A Lot !) of playlists of all kind and music genres. And I love to have them available on the go, and being able to use them for all kind of situations and moments. So, reaching this limit is a bit annoying. And I must say that I don't really understand the technical limitation it represents (if there is any ?). So I want to strongly add my voice to the other here and ask you, Spotify, to cancel this limit and give us at least 10x more songs available to save in our library.

Thanks.

Given the position that Spotify has taken regarding the 10k song limit -
the question becomes "What are we going to do about i?"

In Politics, when people are upset with the government, they come together,
and protest, March on Washington - speak out, sign petitions and so on.

What if 5 million Spotify subscribers were to take simliar actions ? What
is Spotify would receive 1-5 million emails everyday - protesting the 10k
song limit ?

Do other feel that if 5 million protesters were to make voice heard - would
Spotify listen ?

Thank you !

Extremely dissappointed with this as well. Considering we pay monthly and they make such a big deal about showing you new music "Discover weekly", "Release Radar" etc. More and more people are bound to run into this limit. But it seems they haven't wanted to do anything about this for a long time. I've paid for spotify for quite awhile and this very much makes me want to go to Apple. A few of my friends are contemplating doing the same. If i'm driving, I want to be able to select one library or playlist and hit shuffle rather than searching for artists, stations, or multiple playlists because they fail to accommodate for this growing issue.

I second this. Hopefully later down the road we can expect to increase this limit.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in a workaround for this 10,000 limit - try saving your music as playlists instead. The best way to do this is to create a playlist FOLDER labeled "Albums". Now you can save full albums as playlists in this folder, without affecting your "Saved Music" limit. Not the most ideal solution but it works for me. It allows me to browse and easily play albums I enjoy.

Note: If you're not much of an "album person", you can shuffle play all items in the folder.

This is dissapointing, I just migrated my libary using the new tools from Spotify/Microsoft and the migration worked well but of course I immediately hit my 10,000 song limit. I have about 3,000 albums that I have collected since i was a young boy and so having my music listening history in one place is important to me. This was easy in Groove but now with the spotify limit I am unable to see all the albums and also can't tell which albums are missing. Yes I can play them by going to search but it doesn't help me with browsing my history in a visual way. Please raise this limit.

Suggested posts