Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Library Song Limit

Solved!

Library Song Limit

Spotify staff-

I recently reached the 10,000 song limit in my library, which is a great disappointment.  As a loyal customer for over 3 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed your product, so much that I have shifted to using it as my main source of music collection.  There must be some way that you can enable "super users" to continue to file and organize their music over this arbitrary limit.  

There may not be many of us, but (and this should be obvious) those of us that actually reach this limit are your core constituents.  We are passionate about music and your product, and I can tell you that I have gotten at least 20 people to sign up to Spotify Premium over the past couple of years as I have raved about it.  I will continue to do so, with the caveat that Spotify just isn't yet ready to become a full-fledged music library of record for musical aficianados, much to my disappointment.

One more thought: You may find interest in the creation of some type of super user account that would allow you to charge SLIGHTLY more for those of us who desire or require a higher song limit (say, unlimited...) without having to alter the accounts of your millions of users.  Bottom line is that unlimited should mean unlimited, especially in this age of big data, but a 10,000 song cap with no alternative is absurd.

Thanks

271 Replies

Very good point all around. Interesting how it seems that Spotify is currently behind the curve. A shame really 

Just so you know I tweeted again. 

https://tinyurl.com/ya2s2xva

After waiting and watching this thread for a while without any sign of change, it stopped feeling worth the effort to constantly prune a "full" library and I cancelled my subscription.

Google play music feels the closest to spotify and allows uploading of your own(ed) digital music files!

I was gonna get unlimited until learning that they limit the amount of MY PAID FOR OWN PRIVATE MUSIC.... whats the point of making playlists without being able to have access to all my music...

Indeed. Might stop my subscription and looks elsewhere as seen here...

https://tinyurl.com/yau88k8v

Apple has a 100k song limit.

Had Spotify premium for a week.  Building library and less than 1/2 way through got the 'LIMIT" reached.  Now have to spend many more hours deleting files  so I can add more of favorite artists.  Of course there's work arounds, all requiring more hours juggling library to stay within file limit.  Looking at Apple Music.  Their limit is 100,000?? duh!

@TaraLynn1 wrote:

I have seen the previous communication stating their lack of intent to increase this 10,000 song limit, and want to be another voice clamoring for it.  Perhaps if enough of us that are frustrated with an otherwise great product express our opinions, Spotify will feel compelled to present a solution to this issue.

Thanks

😠

Just ran into this, absurd! Honestly I feel betrayed guys - I moved to Spotify a few years ago and with the changes that you've been making the past few years I've grown to love it, up until now! This makes me want to go back to a managed hard drive!

I've always considered the library a place to bookmark music you like, never thought there would be a hard limit on it. Feel ridiculous that I now have to go through and delete music through my virtual library! 

**bleep**, if anyone in the Spotify office is reading this - I would totally throw you guys $5 a month extra for some sort of 'super user' non-library cap. I don't think I should have to do that, and I'd feel ripped off, but it's better than having to be forced to limit the library like this.

I think it's a software design problem for them. The classic design error that takes you for almost the whole life of the software and that becomes very difficult to correct because deep in the core of the system. I'm an IT Architect and I'll give you an example, Oracle which is one of the most important database vendors and yet up to version 12.2 the length of the name of a table or column was limited to 30 bytes, and only now it became 128 because it was used so deep in their code that they spent a lot of time to correct it. I hope it is not so and fortunately we are always free to choose who to give in our money

I just contacted the Amazon customer service and they told me that there are no limits in the number of songs that can be saved in the playlists. They have a free month to try the Unlimited version, I'll do a couple of tests. I'll keep you up-to-date. Of course, redoing all the playlists I've created is a tragedy

There is actually no limit in Playlists, it's saved songs/albums in your Library.

That's really the best workaround but not a satisfactory solution.

@JoshHorner

When you mention saved songs / albums do you mean physically actually saved on disk?

So you can actually have unlimited playlists with up to 10K songs in each playlist? This would make your library just a regular 10k max playlist. I would have no problem with that.

A library is different from a playlist. I wouldn't want all my 10k songs in a playlist the same way i wont store all songs of all albums i like. But that's just me. 

No is songs that are added to your library. It imoacts what you can and cant save though.

I downloaded them all so I am currently testing them but j will be leaving spotify in a week. Not that they care of course

Indeed. I'm moving off from the platform. Its clear that they just dont care. 

Unfortunately it seems they dont care. 

Have solution.  Add only 1 (one) song from each album to your library. 

Don't 'save' each album as a whole.  When clicking on an album you can go the option to view whole album and play or manage playlists.  Works for me.

I just signed up yesterday after getting aggravated with Google Music's Android Auto support... Started putting in my music, hit the limit  and I'm already back to Google. This is pure disregard for music loving customers, plain and simple. 

Suggested posts